Few issues with Kenwood install in '15 Mustang

Group using the FO1 and FO2 firmware for Ford SYNC retention * see specific firmware for full feature list.
luv2fly3
New User

Few issues with Kenwood install in '15 Mustang

Post by luv2fly3 »

Good evening. I just installed a Kenwood DMX9707S into a 2015 Ford Mustang GT with the factory 9 speaker w/amp system. I used a Maestro RR and KIT-MFT1, along with a ACC-NAV1 to tie into the OEM trunk mounted GPS antenna. Everything is working great except the compass on the radio is not working, and the clock does not seem to set via GPS. It makes me wonder if the ACC-NAV1 connection will work with the factory GPS antenna? The original factory radio did not have navigation, but the compass on the display did work. The compass on the dash also is still working. I am using Android Auto, not CarPlay, so I don't know if the GPS connection might be the issue?

The other thing that doesn't seem to be working is the backup camera guides. They do show, but they do not move with the factory lines. I thought the RR would bring that dynamic movement, but it doesn't appear to be working.

Any advice on these two issues would be appreciate. Thank you!

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Re: Few issues with Kenwood install in '15 Mustang

Post by Dara DeGrand »

The only Kenwood radios that send the compass information out to the cluster are the DNX series. Are you certain that the antenna you connected to is GPS and not satellite radio, by chance? They are both FAKRA connectors. It's possible there could be another antenna elsewhere in the vehicle being sent to the display via data.

Is the camera OEM or aftermarket?
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

luv2fly3
New User

Post by luv2fly3 »

Dara DeGrand wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 8:42 am
The only Kenwood radios that send the compass information out to the cluster are the DNX series. Are you certain that the antenna you connected to is GPS and not satellite radio, by chance? They are both FAKRA connectors. It's possible there could be another antenna elsewhere in the vehicle being sent to the display via data.

Is the camera OEM or aftermarket?
Thanks for getting back to me. The cluster compass, on the dash between the two gauges, shows the correct compass info. It's just on the radio itself that the compass function doesn't appear to be working as it is locked in the north position. There are two antennas on the car, and the stock radio did not have Sirius XM or navigation. I know in our prior mustang convertible the same antenna did impact GPS signals for the navigation that was in place on that car. So I assumed the same antenna would be the one for GPS signals on the new Kenwood. I purchased the NAV1 interface, but with both the compass not working, and the clock not seeming to set via GPS, I'm wondering if it is not working. I was hoping to avoid having to place the Kenwood supplied GPS antenna on the dash, but might have no choice if that is the case. There were only two antenna connectors in the dash, one for the radio antenna, and one for the little "puck" antenna on the trunk lid, which is what I hooked in to.

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand »

If nothing else, you could try plugging in the Kenwood antenna as a test. This would rule out if it's the adapter that's an issue, or if the input to the Kenwood has a problem. Also, the Kenwood antenna can be hidden under the dash. GPS antennas can see through plastic and glass, as long as they are facing the sky and not obstructed by metal.
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

Cathul
New User

Post by Cathul »

The 2015 Mustang with the SYNC2 system is using GPS over CANBUS, not via a FAKRA connector.
There is a GPSM module located above the center channel which provides GPS information for the factory navigation and compass via CAN.
So you cannot really tie in with the NAV1 harness on the 2015 Mustang, but must use the Kenwood GPS antenna.

luv2fly3
New User

Post by luv2fly3 »

Cathul wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:58 am
The 2015 Mustang with the SYNC2 system is using GPS over CANBUS, not via a FAKRA connector.
There is a GPSM module located above the center channel which provides GPS information for the factory navigation and compass via CAN.
So you cannot really tie in with the NAV1 harness on the 2015 Mustang, but must use the Kenwood GPS antenna.
Ok. That is likely what I'll do then. I can just hide the Kenwood GPS antenna right under the dash panel and go that route instead of trying to tie into the factory GPS antenna. I appreciate all the insight.

Return to “Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda”