Volume control active with car off - blown tweeters

8-Channel Interactive Signal Processor w/ Integrated iDatalink Maestro Module
DaveST
New User

Volume control active with car off - blown tweeters

Post by DaveST » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:37 am

This is a 2016 focus ST. So like others I've seen, my amp will randomly turn on when the vehicle is off such as when you open the doors or hatch. What didn't occur to me is that the volume knob will also work. My daughter was playing in my car the other day, no keys in the vehicle and she turned the volume knob on my radio all the way up apparently. When I started the car the next day I just about lost my hearing and my tweeters blew. I tested this myself to verify that's what happened. Walk up, open door, turn volume, walk away. The next time the vehicle is started it's at the new level, or full blast in my case. This should not be possible! Why?!

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Re: Volume control active with car off - blown tweeters

Post by Dara DeGrand » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:44 am

It needs to be this way, for when you have the key off and the car needs to send you a warning chime. I am going to ask our engineers today if we can update it so that the volume knob isn't active when the key isn't in the ignition. I'll update and let you know what I find out.

As an example: Let's say you accidentally leave your lights on and get out of the car. Your key is out of the ignition. If we weren't awake to play a chime, you might not notice, and end up with a dead battery from leaving your headlights on.
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

DaveST
New User

Post by DaveST » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:28 am

Dara, that makes sense, although I don't think chimes come through the speakers in this vehicle, maybe other models. At the very least locking out that volume knob would be excellent.

plinky
New User

Post by plinky » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:25 am

DaveST wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:28 am
Dara, that makes sense, although I don't think chimes come through the speakers in this vehicle, maybe other models. At the very least locking out that volume knob would be excellent.
Chimes come through another speaker/module. My '14 ST does the same thing. The SYNC voice came through the speakers though, & quite loudly. I found an unused key on power fuse slot in the rear fuse block of my car to power my amp & disabled the DC sense in the PerfectTune settings. My amp will shut off in about 10-15 seconds of key off (retained accessory power will still work), but it won't power up unexpectedly like you mention.

Return to “Maestro DSR1”