2011 Sequoia, factory amp, no subwoofer sound

Group using the TO1 and TO2 firmware * see specific firmware for full feature list.
AmazinglySmooth
New User

2011 Sequoia, factory amp, no subwoofer sound

Post by AmazinglySmooth » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:47 am

Using the factory amp and the Maestro Rr, I don't seem to be getting sound from the amp. How can I test it?
Last edited by AmazinglySmooth on Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

AmazinglySmooth
New User

2011 Sequoia, factory satellite, text not updating

Post by AmazinglySmooth » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:08 pm

I'm using the Rr to retain the factory satellite feature of my Sequoia. The audio works fine, but the text displayed for the channels isn't being updated properly. When I select a preset the channel name and number and song title all update, but the artist is from the previous channel.

AmazinglySmooth
New User

Re: 2011 Sequoia, factory amp, no subwoofer sound

Post by AmazinglySmooth » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:03 am

So, it seems intermittent. Over the weekend, I played with it many times. The audio would be present and then cutoff unexpectedly. It would then return. When no audio was present, sometimes the Amp Settings were visible and sometimes greyed out. This morning the steering wheel controls and factory satellite radio were not working. I restarted the vehicle and then all features were working.

Hardware or firmware issue?

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:41 am

I'd say it sounds like a connection issue. On your t-harness, there is a white 2-pin plug with green/red and green/yellow wires in it. Make sure those are seated VERY well (these are the data lines where the amp is detected and controlled). If those wires have a poor connection at any junction, it could cause you to lose sound, and losing those menus tells us that's the most likely culprit.

I merged your posts together; there is no need to have two topics for one vehicle.

I will check with engineering and see if we have seen this issue before. What radio are you using?
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

AmazinglySmooth
New User

Post by AmazinglySmooth » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:08 am

Kenwood 6705S

AmazinglySmooth
New User

Post by AmazinglySmooth » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:25 am

I should add that these problems are intermittent but in an unusual way. The sound would work for 30 minutes or more and then cut out. Most of the time things would return after a restart, but once it returned on its own after about 20 minutes. The satellite radio drop only happened once and recovered after restarting. I don't get any static or other indication.

AmazinglySmooth
New User

Post by AmazinglySmooth » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:52 pm

I disconnected and reconnected every connection. Stereo was working fine for 1 week. Then yesterday audio dropped again unexpectedly. I wasn't listening very loudly. I restarted the vehicle and the audio came right back. This doesn't seem like a hardware problem to me. When the audio cuts out, it just goes silent. There is no static or distortion or screeching. Any ideas?

Zack Flynn
ADS Team

Post by Zack Flynn » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:11 pm

What is the serial number of your RR module? it is the top line on the sticker on the bottom of the unit, and sometimes it may contain some letters. Like Dara mentioned previously it sounds like we are losing communication with the amplifier for it to shut off like it is and not have the amplifier menu in the settings. The other thing could be a disconnect on the 4 pin data cable that goes between the radio and RR, especially with the sat radio and steering wheel controls quitting as well
Zack Flynn
Automotive Data Solutions
Technical Support & MECP Master Installation Technician
Zachary.flynn@adsdata.ca

AmazinglySmooth
New User

Post by AmazinglySmooth » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:17 am

My vendor sent me a second Rr to try. I flashed it and installed it along with a new 4-pin cable. Audio hasn't cut out yet, but factory satellite has greyed out twice so far. When flashing I did exclude USB and Radar this time. I don't know if the problem is Kenwood's or Maestro's or the installer's. Restarting the vehicle recovered the factory satellite feature the first time. The second time, I attempted to "initialize" the Kenwood, which recovered the factory satellite feature.

AmazinglySmooth
New User

Post by AmazinglySmooth » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:38 pm

So, in addition to the intermittent OEM satellite selection, I have now seen more problems:

1) Left audio channel mutes and unmutes abruptly with no static or change in audio quality prior to or during this quiet time.

2) Attempting to play with the balance to understand what was happening. Balance worked one time--even when the left channel was out, I could hear the right channel getting quieter. A later occurance, balance didn't respond even though the Kenwood was showing it moving. Fader didn't work either. Restarting vehicle recovered the balance controls. During this time, steering wheel controls worked.

With a factory amp, does the Maestro or Kenwood drive the balance feature? I'm beginning to suspect the radio or the T harness that Crutchfield assembled.

It is odd that the symptoms are so wildly different between two Rr units, but something is wrong. I may punt all of it, if I cannot figure it out.

AmazinglySmooth
New User

Post by AmazinglySmooth » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:33 pm

I tried flashing the Maestro with two choices so far: with and without USB & Radar. Both flashes produced similar results.

AmazinglySmooth
New User

Post by AmazinglySmooth » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:50 pm

I ripped into my dash once again. My dealer confirmed to me that balance and fader are both controlled by the Maestro, so I was convinced that the problem was either the T harness or my Kenwood. So I wiggled the wires while music was playing to see if I could replicate my audio symptoms. The connections listed on the diagram for the RR shown in "step 3" seem to be sensitive to wiggling even though they are well connected. I even unplugged one and replugged it just to be sure. Still the wiggling causes the audio to cut out without static. I could not replicate factory satellite greyed out, but I had enough to go on for my dealer to send me a new harness. I hope this corrects the issues. What a huge hassle to debug! I strongly recommend the "wiggle test" before putting everything back in your dash.

I do wish there were some diagnostics on the Maestro that could report if it senses issues. It seems like a perfect way to add to the utility of this type of module.

AmazinglySmooth
New User

Post by AmazinglySmooth » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:25 pm

I got my new harness and noticed similar (but less) wiggle failure. I decided to try securing the connectors together with a zip tie. So far, the audio hasn't dropped since wiggling.

I did experience dropout of the steering wheel controls and factory satellite with the new harness :-(

Yesterday (10/9/2018), Kenwood released a new firmware update. It specifically lists: "Improved iDataLink Function. (Covered areas: North America)". It is vague, but I'm hopeful this will resolve my remaining issues.

I'm shocked that I had to zip tie the harness connectors, and it isn't fun to debug two separate issues (one of which probably wasn't even something I could solve). So be prepared to deal with frustrations when installing it on your own.

I will report back once I have had more time behind the wheel with the fixes.

AmazinglySmooth
New User

Post by AmazinglySmooth » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:11 pm

It's only been a 5 days, but so far so good.

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:53 am

Good deal- keep us posted if anything comes up.
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

Return to “Toyota”