Scion xD 2008 - Blowing Fuse Connecting Harness

Group using the TO1 and TO2 firmware * see specific firmware for full feature list.
ChrisD24
New User

Scion xD 2008 - Blowing Fuse Connecting Harness

Post by ChrisD24 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:32 pm

Yesterday I used butt connectors to connect the wires from my Maestro harness to the Pioneer Main Harness. When connecting the harness (I've narrowed down to two plugs), I immediately blow a fuse.

Since nothing is connected to the other end (the Meastro or the new Head Unit) I was assuming that this was something with my cabling, but I've check all of my connections using a multi-meter and I'm positive they are wires correctly per the wiring guide. Does anyone have an idea on what I can check? Did I connect a certain wire I wasn't supposed to? Should I try a third time with connecting the cables in a different order?

I called Crutchfield this morning and he swears that the reason it's blowing is because I don't have the Maestro unit connected to it first, but that seems to contradict the steps in the manual. Does this sound right? I don't need to fry the head unit or Maestro box...

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Re: Scion xD 2008 - Blowing Fuse Connecting Harness

Post by Dara DeGrand » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:46 am

Which fuse is blowing; a fuse in the vehicle, or the one on the TO1 harness?

Ultimately, something shorting is pretty much the only way for a fuse to pop. If you have verified that nothing is shorting, there could be something internal that's shorting (assuming you have the hardware plugged in when the fuse is popping).
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

ChrisD24
New User

Post by ChrisD24 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:53 pm

The fuse that is blowing is the Dome 15A fuse. This happens instantly when the 12 pin connector is connected, which is without any equipment attached - just the harness. I spent 2-3 hours on the phone with Crutchfield troubleshooting and my wiring is correct, the last thing we tried was using the multi meter to see is power was outputting from any of those leads, and it is through the black wire. My car is stock, no customization - any ideas?

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:40 pm

It sounds like something in the harness is shorting. The easiest resolution would be to have crutchfield ship you a replacement TO1 harness.
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

Return to “Toyota”