Line or Speaker Level Audio to the Factory AMP / Maestro RR/2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee/Kenwood DDX9704S

Group using the CH1, CH2 and CH3 firmwares for uConnect, steering wheel controls, OEM amplifier retention. compatible with select Mitsubishi and Volkswagen vehicles * see specific firmware for full feature list.
Rickanderson53
New User

Line or Speaker Level Audio to the Factory AMP / Maestro RR/2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee/Kenwood DDX9704S

Post by Rickanderson53 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:25 pm

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee with Factory Amp, 10 speaker to inc Subwoofer, OEM head unit was the 430N/RHB.
Kept OEM Speakers and Amp.
Installed Kenwood DDX9704S.
Used Maestro RR w/ CH1 Harness, AVCH1, Satellite and AM/FM antenna adapters.

So my question up front, Do I really wire the speaker level audio output (already amplified at the head unit) like in the Maestro Instructions diagram to go to the Factory Amp input? And not the Line Level Outputs (RCA Connectors) from the Head Unit?

The Speaker Level Output won't blow the factory Amp? Is the factory amp designed to amplify speaker level already amplified signals?

What I did, and has me wondering if I should have just followed the diagram in the Instructions, is splice RCA connectors to the front speaker wires of the Maestro CH1 harness and connect the RCA connectors to the line level outputs of the Kenwood Radio. And my volume (speaker output) is lacking, after messing with settings, turning AMP gain up to 100%, input levels for all the inputs up to their max levels, the volume is adequate for my needs, but less than the OEM setup and most setups with just the amp in the head unit, oem or aftermarket.

So this leads met to believe I did it wrong, but before I rewire the harness, It would be nice to get some assurance that I'm suppose to send speaker level output to the factory amp, and that is not going to blow it out.

Oh BTW, unrelated matter, that creates a bit of confusion. The Maestro RR Instructions says to identify if I have a factory amp or not by looking if there is wires in the C2 connector at pins 19,20,21 and 22 (the rear speakers powered from the amp in the head unit). I confirmed I have a factory amp, but I have wires at those pins as well. I checked the wires colors for a FSM diagram I have for the Factory Amp system, the 4 wires that would provide signal to the factory Amp, are the colors for a factory amp system (which is different colors for speakers powered directly from the head unit), the diagram doesn't show the wires for pins 19-21, and the wires to those pins are the colors for a non-amplified system. Best I can tell, the wires are unused and just inserted for some reason despite not being used.

Zack Flynn
ADS Team

Re: Line or Speaker Level Audio to the Factory AMP / Maestro RR/2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee/Kenwood DDX9704S

Post by Zack Flynn » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:15 pm

The inputs to the factory amplifier are high level, and should be connected like we show in the wiring diagram. We have people identify if they have a factory amplifier the way we do because the amplified systems only use a 2 channel audio input for the amplifier, so if all 4 sets of speakers are present, then it means it is not amplified
Zack Flynn
Automotive Data Solutions
Technical Support & MECP Master Installation Technician
Zachary.flynn@adsdata.ca

Rickanderson53
New User

Re: Line or Speaker Level Audio to the Factory AMP / Maestro RR/2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee/Kenwood DDX9704S

Post by Rickanderson53 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:37 pm

Zack Flynn wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:15 pm
The inputs to the factory amplifier are high level, and should be connected like we show in the wiring diagram. We have people identify if they have a factory amplifier the way we do because the amplified systems only use a 2 channel audio input for the amplifier, so if all 4 sets of speakers are present, then it means it is not amplified
Thank You, I'll reset all the setting for gain and volume I made in the head unit and maestro setup through the radio, pull the harness and rewire it like the diagram, to send it high level inputs. I suspect that will get me the volume I am missing.

Yes, I understand the amplified system only uses 2 channels from the head unit, and wiring diagrams I have seen for factory amplified systems don't have any wires to pins 19-22 on the C2 connector. So I figure my vehicle or this particular M/Y is an exception, cause I definitely have wires to the pins 19-22, but best I can tell, they don't connect to anything on the other end.

Rickanderson53
New User

Post by Rickanderson53 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:49 am

So I pulled the Kenwood DDX9704S out tonight, took the CH1 wire harness and rewired it exactly like the instructions, to send high level speaker signal to the factory amp. It worked like a charm, more volume than OEM. Good thing I reset the amp gain to 50% before redoing the harness.

And it solved the GPS voice (through Android Auto) that was barely hearable before, it's a perfect volume now.

Return to “Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep”