Tips on troubleshooting noise when RR is part of the system.

Group using the GM3 and GM5 firmware for Onstar bluetooth, sat radio, Door chime, turn signal retention and steering wheel control, custom gauges, vehicle info, park assist... * see specific firmware for full feature list.
Mdsjohna
New User

Tips on troubleshooting noise when RR is part of the system.

Post by Mdsjohna » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:25 pm

I had an install of the Maestro RR with GM3 done in a 14 Silverado. The head unit is a Pioneer AVH-2300nex. The amp is a Hertz HDP5. The noise is only when the vehicle is running, it changes with RPM and it doesn't matter the source.

Grounding the RCA's of the head unit reduced the noise to almost inaudible.
Changing the head unit to a new unit did not help the noise.
Remove the RCAs from the AMP and the noise is gone.
Remove RCA from head unit and the noise is gone.
Remove radio antenna from head unit no change.
Power to amp is on opposite side from the rest of the wiring.
Amp ground seems good

The amp was previously installed by a different shop at an earlier date. The shop that did the head unit and Maestro RR did a little bit of trouble shooting. At first they said it was the head unit but when they replaced the head unit it was still there. Now they are pointing the finger at the amp install. I did not have this noise before the head unit and Maestro install however.

Is there anything I/they should be looking at when it comes to the Maestro RR connections?
Specific connections that should be looked at?
Certain things that we should try unplugging from the Maestro to see if it reduced the noise?

The Head unit/Maestro shop did some troubleshooting but couldn't solve it (other then the grounded RCA) any additional will cost me. So I want to be informed and have possible ideas for places they can look for resolution. I am convinced it has something to do with the Head unit/Maestro install.

Thanks in advance

billr
ADS Team

Re: Tips on troubleshooting noise when RR is part of the system.

Post by billr » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:18 am

noise is one of the hardest things to troubleshoot because of so many possible things causing it. you have narrowed down the possibilities a good amount by doing what you have already done. we know the noise is being induced in/by the radio somehow, most likely through the power/ground wires. So here are some things to try:
1) while playing music, pull the radio out the dash and see if the noise goes away. this will tell us of there is something around the radio causing the noise
2) try re-grounding the radio and Maestro to a nice piece of metal or even temporarily run a wire to the battery ground as a test
3) check your battery connections, both the positive and negative side. make sure there is no corrosion and the terminals are tight. also check the ground that goes to the frame.
4) there even could be a possibility of something in the alternator going bad, a diode possibly, that could cause the noise
try some of those and see if one fixes the issue.
William (Bill) Repicky
Automotive Data Solutions Technical Support
MECP Master Certified
ASE A6 Certified
866-427-2999

Mdsjohna
New User

Post by Mdsjohna » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:17 am

Thanks for the suggestions. I Moving the radio was tried as well as the battery terminals look good. But to dig deeper on the other suggestions might take a couple of weeks. Does the head unit have to be grounded to the Maestro or can the Maestro use the factory ground and the head-unit get it's own separate chassis ground?

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:56 pm

They can all be grounded separately. Ultimately, if each component has a good chassis ground, there is less potential for noise and interference.
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

Return to “Chevrolet, GMC, Buick, Cadillac, Pontiac, Saturn, Hummer”