center front and center rear output possible?

8-Channel Interactive Signal Processor w/ Integrated iDatalink Maestro Module
redlancer
New User

center front and center rear output possible?

Post by redlancer » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:08 pm

Recently picked up a DSR1 for use in my 2015 Ford Edge. Had a quick question on setting up the speaker configuration for the outputs.

Going through the wizard set-up on the PerfectTune app, it has an option for full-range fronts and rears on channels 1/2/5/6, and sub output on 7/8, along with center channel on output 3. I would also like to have center output for the rear C-pillar speakers on channel 4, but doesn't seem to be one of the preset configurations.

I'm thinking I can link channel 3 to channel 4, but in the app it lists that channel as 'not used' (though is still 'configurable' in the various sliders and screens). I haven't started hooking things up yet, but wanted to see if this configuration is possible before I start installing wiring and speakers to be sure I could get a full range center output on channel 4. I realize one workaround would be to split channel 3 to both inputs for the amps I'm using, but then wouldn't have individual control over those speakers in the app.

Thanks!

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Re: center front and center rear output possible?

Post by Dara DeGrand » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:37 pm

You should be able to use the spare outputs for those channels- Configurations through the app are definitely more of a Rockford thing, since it is their app. If you have more specific questions about configurations, I recommend reaching out to them for ideas/questions/concerns.
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

redlancer
New User

Post by redlancer » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:15 pm

Thanks Dara, yeah, I did shoot them the same question and their response was to split channel 3 for the two center channel inputs. Seems like the only time you can use channel 4 is when you have an active 3-way or similar configuration (i.e. tweeter/midrange/midbass), other than that it remains unused. Doesn't look like any way to override the presests.

Probably the easiest will be to start hooking things up and see what audio I can get routed where

redlancer
New User

Post by redlancer » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:37 pm

Finally got around to hooking everything up, and now have another issue with center channel output.

Any speaker configuration that have a center channel (typically channel 3 from the DSR1) are very very quiet, almost inaudible unless the volume is at max. If I set the DSR1 to have channel 3 as something else, like a rear door speaker, it has normal volume output so it's not wiring from the amp to speaker or RCA from DSR1 to amp.

I set the firmware at the iDatalink flash page to use the center channel as 'music+prompts', and the prompts work quite loudly, but music not so much. Anybody have a working summed center channel?

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:21 pm

That's how the center channel should function; it's primarily used for notifications, and the music in the center is more for filler. If you had the center too loud, it would be a detrimental to your soundstage.
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

redlancer
New User

Post by redlancer » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:05 pm

I agree, but it's not that it's just a bit quieter than the L/R channels, it's nearly inaudible.

If I turn off the other channels in the app, then turn the head unit to MAX volume, you can just barely hear it. I stuck my ear into the speaker and there is some sound coming from it along with some high pitch whine at about the same level (vehicle not on). With the other speakers at regular levels there is no perceptible output from the center channel.

Return to “Maestro DSR1”