The Maestro RR partially works, cant get 1/2 the steering wheel buttons to work

Group using the FO1 and FO2 firmware for Ford SYNC retention * see specific firmware for full feature list.
Test101
New User

The Maestro RR partially works, cant get 1/2 the steering wheel buttons to work

Post by Test101 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:01 am

I have a 2013 Ford Focus with the 10 button steering wheel. The maestro was successfully flashed yesterday and I am able to use the arrow buttons and OK button just fine. However the volume buttons, hang up/answer call buttons don't work. The right paddle works to trigger siri/sync but there is no audio confirmations.

I am using a Pioneer 1440NEX and a Metra 99-5827B.

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Re: The Maestro RR partially works, cant get 1/2 the steering wheel buttons to work

Post by Dara DeGrand » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:42 am

See attached. Depending on what version of the harness you have, there are a few different ways to resolve this; Note that there are two pages here, and you'll use the wiring type that best aligns with the harness that you have.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

Test101
New User

Re: The Maestro RR partially works, cant get 1/2 the steering wheel buttons to work

Post by Test101 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:27 pm

Thank you,

I had Crutchfield pre-wire it, so I will look at what purple/red and white/black are plugged into on Wednesday during my day off. It looks like option 2 is my only option.

When the document references backup camera, would you happen to know which one the backup camera is? I do not have that option in my Focus and the factory wiring harness looks like the below picture. I had connectors for everything but the yellow box connection (I believe Sirius XM antenna). My Maestro RR is connected to the two connectors shown and has one small box shaped connector left over that is not plugged into anything (Maybe that is the backup camera connector I need to tap into).

Thank you.

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:40 am

The plug we're talking about is the connector that originally plugged into the 4.3" OEM screen.
Dara DeGrand
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

Test101
New User

Post by Test101 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:18 am

Thank you. Would I be able just to take the pins out of the old connector on the 4” screen and put them into the maestro RR? I’d like to keep the old screen even though it doesn’t do much.

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:51 am

You could cut the SW wires away from that connector if you wanted. Our solution was coded with the intention of you not keeping the 4.3" Screen. If you try to retain it, you may get some weird error messages on it- just a heads up.
Dara DeGrand
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

Test101
New User

Post by Test101 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:36 am

Thank you again.

I did review the instructions for the module again and just saw one cable was not plugged in. Would you happen to know if this would fix the issue and if so where it should be hardwired into?

Going from the below image and starting at the left, I have the cable with all of the wires plugged in, the one with the headphone jack plugged into the RR and radio, I do not have the blue capped cable with a blue cable and headphone jack plugged in but was thinking of replacing the cable to its left with that but need to figure out where the blue cable would plug into, I have the idatalink cable plugged into the idatalink port on the radio, and do not have the red/yellow/black cable plugged in.

Zack Flynn
ADS Team

Post by Zack Flynn » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:07 am

You don't need the blue 4 pin connector on your application. Everything it does is being handled by the 4 pin black data cable on that Pioneer radio. The wiring you need to cut loose from or disconnect the connector from is the 12 pin factory connector that goes to the original screen. If the steering wheel control wires from the steering wheel are going to both it and the RR, the steering wheel controls will not function properly. We recommend disconnecting the screen and using the wiring diagram provided earlier to ensure everything works as it was designed
Zack Flynn
Automotive Data Solutions
Technical Support & MECP Master Installation Technician
Zachary.flynn@adsdata.ca

Test101
New User

Post by Test101 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:24 pm

I was able to get it to successfully work when removing the 4" screen.

Would you know how to pull apart the connector so I can safely (not destructively) take the matching cables out of their housing and route them to the maestro rr?

Too bad I can't route some of the display to it and have a 2nd screen. Would be pretty awesome to have nav up on the pioneer radio and gauges up on the 4.3" screen.

Return to “Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda”