2011 Mustang Steering Wheel Buttons work until they don't

Group using the FO1 and FO2 firmware for Ford SYNC retention * see specific firmware for full feature list.
Greglenz
New User

2011 Mustang Steering Wheel Buttons work until they don't

Post by Greglenz » Tue May 15, 2018 9:48 pm

More info:
I have 2011 Mustang with Shaker 500 and Sync
Pioneer AVH-1300NEX (I just installed the latest 8.3 firmware)
ADS-KIT-MUS01 install Kit
ADS-MRR for vehicle integration

I did not incorporate Sync into the setup because the capabilities of this head unit seem to offer more and much easier integration of Phone and so forth.

Everything appears to be working on the steering wheel buttons the way I programmed them to work except maybe the voice and phone which I am not concerned with - maybe they only work with Sync?

Anyway the problem starts as soon as I press one of the buttons on the head unit and then at that point, none of the SW controls will operate the HeadUnit. However, the HU still works as it should. Also the SW controls that I programmed to function the Climate Control still work as programmed (fan speed up and down, etc).

Once the whole system is rebooted (car shut off, door opened and they the HU powered up again) everything again works until I press a button (or change the volume via the touch screen on the HU).

What can cause this? I am assuming I have a wiring connection I do not need or vice-versa?

Thanks in advance,
Greg

billr
ADS Team

Re: 2011 Mustang Steering Wheel Buttons work until they don't

Post by billr » Wed May 16, 2018 8:48 am

hello,
sounds like there is something plugged into the W/R port on the back of the Pioneer. Check the audio cable coming from the Maestro and make sure it's plugged into the Aux In of the Pioneer. Also there shouldn't be anything plugged into the Blue or Red port on the Maestro.
William (Bill) Repicky
Automotive Data Solutions Technical Support
MECP Master Certified
ASE A6 Certified
866-427-2999

Greglenz
New User

Post by Greglenz » Wed May 16, 2018 12:41 pm

As I was doing some research last night on other post, I started to wonder if my SYNC cable could be the problem (the Blue w/orange stripe)? I did not cut the wire because I was not using SYNC and thought this may not be a necessary step? And as a result, I did not do anything with the pink wire.

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Wed May 16, 2018 2:48 pm

What Bill suggested is probably the root of your problem. The pink/red wire is just for your phone/voice buttons. If you didn't hook that up, it wouldn't cause an issue with the other buttons, the voice/phone buttons just wouldn't work.
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

Greglenz
New User

Post by Greglenz » Wed May 16, 2018 3:27 pm

2 more questions:

1) If I decide to reconfigure the button assignment, can I update the ADS-MRR while it is still hooked up in the car, or do I have to disconnect all the cables and then reflash it with the USB?

2) On another note, is there an advantage to using SYNC that I am missing out on? My HU has Carplay and it seems that has better phone and music integration in general which is why I did not bother with Sync.

Thanks for answering my questions so quickly.

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Wed May 16, 2018 3:50 pm

1- The maestro cannot be powered by the car, or the computer will not be able to detect it. At the very least, you must disconnect the power and data cables, disconnect the car's battery, OR pull the fuse that powers the radio circuit.

2- CarPlay gives you more features than you would get with Sync. I recommend using one or the other. If you like CarPlay, i suggest using that.
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

Return to “Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda”