Install Q's on 2016 Cherokee w/amps

Group using the CH1, CH2 and CH3 firmwares for uConnect, steering wheel controls, OEM amplifier retention. compatible with select Mitsubishi and Volkswagen vehicles * see specific firmware for full feature list.
Magic_Neil
New User

Install Q's on 2016 Cherokee w/amps

Post by Magic_Neil » Wed May 09, 2018 11:39 pm

I've got a 2016 Jeep Cherokee with the "premium" sound package (factory amp, sub, etc), and I'm currently using the high-level outputs off of the factory amp to a DSP (just like the video for the DSR1 describes), then to an aftermarket 5-channel amp which goes to all of the speakers. I stumbled on the Maestro RR (a few years too late, unfortunately) and was kicking around the following..

Kenwood DDX9705S -> Maestro and CHK1 kit -> aftermarket amp -> speakers

I've got a few questions I wanted to clarify:
-With this config, will the factory mic be retained/passed through the Maestro for use with all of the deck functions (on-deck phone/bluetooth, Carplay, etc), or do I need to install the Kenwood mic for that?
-Since I'd be bypassing the factory amp, will the Maestro pass through the appropriate audio cues for the rear park sensor as well as cross-traffic sensor via the new head unit's RCA pre-outs? The instructions seem like parking sensor will be retained, but cross-traffic isn't mentioned.
-How does the aftermarket amp factor in to things, in terms of the install? The steps/flash have options for having the factory amp, but isn't clear on if that's being bypassed and an aftermarket amp is in play.
-It looks like adapter ACC-NAV1 is needed to connect the factory GPS antenna to the head unit; is this correct, or does the Maestro handle that on the bus?
-In general for this vehicle and new head units are there any "gotchas"? I expect to lose the UConnect stuff, but the new head unit will replace all that, and with vehicle/climate controls being emulated by the Maestro it seems like everything will be ok.. but there's got to be a catch!

Also, the Youtube video was GREAT! Thanks very much for the time!

Zack Flynn
ADS Team

Re: Install Q's on 2016 Cherokee w/amps

Post by Zack Flynn » Thu May 10, 2018 4:11 pm

You will need to install the aftermarket microphone in your application. We are unable to retain its use in your vehicle

To retain parking sensors and other warning systems that use the factory radar sensors, you will use the SP1 accessory speaker in addition to the regular harness or CHK1 kit

The aftermarket amplifier will connect directly to the aftermarket headunit. No wiring thru the RR needs to be done, just flash the unit and uncheck the option for retaining the factory amplifier.

The ACC-NAV1 antenna adaptor is required to use the factory antenna for your GPS
Zack Flynn
Automotive Data Solutions
Technical Support & MECP Master Installation Technician
Zachary.flynn@adsdata.ca

Magic_Neil
New User

Post by Magic_Neil » Thu May 10, 2018 11:30 pm

Thanks for the fast reply Zack!

Ok, is there an adapter of any kind I can use to retain the factory mic, or am I just SOL on that? Also, is this a limitation of the Maestro (or rather the OEM integration) or is it due to the deck itself?

For the SP1, is there no opportunity to re-route that through the Maestro through a U-harness of some kind, or is it because I'm bypassing the factory amp to an aftermarket? There's a spot for a factory center-channel on the dash that I can probably hide the SP1 in, assuming that there's nothing else on the same circuit would it be safe to yank that fuse to save a bit of power on the alternator?

Thanks again!

billr
ADS Team

Post by billr » Fri May 11, 2018 10:40 am

unfortunately there is no adapter to make the OEM mic work with the aftermarket radio. It's a limitation of the radio, they include mic's that are matched for them and not designed to work with other mic's.

As for the SP1, since you are bypassing the factory amp that's the reason the SP1 will be needed. I like the idea of putting the SP1 in the location of where the center channel would have been.

Cheers!
William (Bill) Repicky
Automotive Data Solutions Technical Support
MECP Master Certified
ASE A6 Certified
866-427-2999

Return to “Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep”