Kenwood DMX905S + 2015 Renegade

savante21
New User

Kenwood DMX905S + 2015 Renegade

Post by savante21 » Tue May 01, 2018 9:48 pm

I'm having a host of issues with this setup.

Initially I could not get the radio to turn on at all, the maestro kept flashing red LED 2x and then pause indicating it was not communicating with the radio.
I disconnected the harness and traced the power, ground and accessory and everything worked.

I reconnected and the radio finally came on.

First all my settings on my car were reset and are now in Metric (Celsius, KM etc).
The only car info that seems to work are the open doors.
Horn no longer beeps when locking doors.
No tire inflation info, no way to change any of the settings back (none of the menus work), and finally the old flashing Odometer.

I believe the problem is the OBD connection.
In the Wiring diagram, step 4 there is an OBD connection with orange/white wires plugging into the small 2 pin black harness.
With the CH3x wiring harness I got, the black 2 pin connection was already connected to an orange/white wire combo that was going into the harness to the factory harness. The only open 2 pin connection was red and the wiring diagram has it as a N.C.

What did I do wrong here?

billr
ADS Team

Re: Kenwood DMX905S + 2015 Renegade

Post by billr » Wed May 02, 2018 10:31 am

Hello,
so on your CH3 harness this is how you should have the connectors:
The red 2 pin connector with the White/Orange and White/Yellow wires - not connected to anything

The white 2 pin connector with the Brown/Red and Brown/Yellow wires should be connected to the mating white connector with the same color wires on it in the CH3 harness.

The black 2 pin connector with the Red/Brown and Yellow/Brown wires, normally this is connected to the mating black connector with the same wire colors in the CH3 harness.

You have the OBD2 harness with a 2 pin black connector on it. Make sure you connect the ODB2 to the cars ODB2.

You will need to unplug the black 2 pin connector with the Red/Brown and Yellow/Brown wires in the CH3 harness. The side of that black 2 pin harness going TOWARDS the vehicle harness you will not use.
Take the ODB2 2 pin black connector and connect it to the other side of the 2 pin black in the CH3 harness.

after all this is done I would recommend resetting the Maestro unit:
Unplug all connectors from the Maestro
Hold down the reset button on the side of the Maestro
While holding down the button plug in just the 3 pin power connector (has a black, red, and yellow wire) and keep the reset button down till you see the led start flashing red.
Once flashing red release the rest button and the led should go green for a second then go out.
reconnect the rest of the connectors.

at this point you should be able to turn the key on and check the functions. you should also be able to get into the settings menu to change your oem settings.
William (Bill) Repicky
Automotive Data Solutions Technical Support
MECP Master Certified
ASE A6 Certified
866-427-2999

savante21
New User

Post by savante21 » Wed May 02, 2018 11:16 am

Awesome, thank you so much for the reply. I will try this later this afternoon.
I believe where I got hung up was here:
You will need to unplug the black 2 pin connector with the Red/Brown and Yellow/Brown wires in the CH3 harness. The side of that black 2 pin harness going TOWARDS the vehicle harness you will not use.
Take the ODB2 2 pin black connector and connect it to the other side of the 2 pin black in the CH3 harness.
The step I missed was unplugging the black connector and plugging in the OBD cable to that as it, as well as the other connecters, were initially connected when I received it.

savante21
New User

Post by savante21 » Thu May 03, 2018 9:34 pm

billr wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 10:31 am
Hello,
The red 2 pin connector with the White/Orange and White/Yellow wires - not connected to anything

The white 2 pin connector with the Brown/Red and Brown/Yellow wires should be connected to the mating white connector with the same color wires on it in the CH3 harness.

The black 2 pin connector with the Red/Brown and Yellow/Brown wires, normally this is connected to the mating black connector with the same wire colors in the CH3 harness.

You have the OBD2 harness with a 2 pin black connector on it. Make sure you connect the ODB2 to the cars ODB2.

While holding down the button plug in just the 3 pin power connector (has a black, red, and yellow wire) and keep the reset button down till you see the led start flashing red.
Once flashing red release the rest button and the led should go green for a second then go out.

at this point you should be able to turn the key on and check the functions. you should also be able to get into the settings menu to change your oem settings.
Thanks again for these instructions, they worked as expected. One thing I noticed that is missing from the car settings is the ability to turn off the DRLs. That is a function on the factory radio but not in the maestro menu.

billr
ADS Team

Post by billr » Fri May 04, 2018 4:54 pm

Hello,
you are correct, the DRL option is not there, my engineers confirmed it with me. We will be making a new firmware so that option is back where it should be. So please bear with us as we get that done. I will send you the firmware once it is completed.
Bill
William (Bill) Repicky
MECP Master Certified
ASE A6 Certified
866-427-2999

savante21
New User

Post by savante21 » Wed May 09, 2018 9:45 am

Thank you for confirmation and the update!

savante21
New User

Post by savante21 » Thu May 10, 2018 10:13 am

billr wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 10:31 am
Hello,

Would this process be the same regardless of using either the CH3 or CH3X harness? Is there a harness that doesnt require the use of the OBD2 connector on the 2015 Jeep Renegade.

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Thu May 10, 2018 11:44 am

It is the same, no matter which CH3 harness you use. We have to get signal from the vehicle wherever we can get it. Sometimes it's behind the radio, and when it isn't, we need to get it at the OBD2.
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

savante21
New User

Post by savante21 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:14 am

billr wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 4:54 pm
Hello,
you are correct, the DRL option is not there, my engineers confirmed it with me. We will be making a new firmware so that option is back where it should be. So please bear with us as we get that done. I will send you the firmware once it is completed.
Bill
Has there been any update on this firmware build?

billr
ADS Team

Post by billr » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:01 pm

currently no update, they are trying to get a US Jeep Renegade since the Canadian ones have DRL's that cannot be turned on or off.
William (Bill) Repicky
MECP Master Certified
ASE A6 Certified
866-427-2999

savante21
New User

Post by savante21 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:53 am

Thanks for the reply Bill.

If you guys get to a point where it's stable enough and need beta testers, I'd offer my services.

I have DRL LED's with no load resistor, so my dash board is currently going crazy with "Bulb Out" messages which is why I'm interested in turning them off :D

Return to “CH3 radio replacement solution”