Sync issues w/ pioneer nex on 2012 F150

Group using the FO1 and FO2 firmware for Ford SYNC retention * see specific firmware for full feature list.
Mukat4
New User

Sync issues w/ pioneer nex on 2012 F150

Post by Mukat4 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:52 pm

I installed the maestro rr with F01 harness to a pioneer Nex 2330.

The sync on my 2012 F150 was updated to the latest version in spring.

Initially my phone (iPhone 7) was connected to both sync and the pioneer. Which seemed to be causing issues and on advice of other forums I disconnected from sync and am now only connected to stereo. By Bluetooth.

If I push the voice button the sync lady talks to me but nothing can be done as she says there is no phone connected/-she’ll try to connect one and nothing happens. Sometimes the stereo freezes when I’ve been trying to mess with sync.

Also Every time I start the car I get a message that there are no paired phones—I think this is a message from sync.

Is sync supposed to pair to the pioneer?

Should I reflash the maestro and remove sync as an option? I’m not sure why to keep sync at this point..what am I missing or is he maestro just not playing well with sync and the pioneer?

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Re: Sync issues w/ pioneer nex on 2012 F150

Post by Dara DeGrand » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:03 am

Sync is NOT supposed to pair to the Pioneer. These are two totally different bluetooth systems; Because of that, you must pair to one of the other, or there will be a conflict. You are likely paired to the Pioneer right now.

Under the OEM Setup, make sure that your OEM Hands-free calling is set to "Use Sync". If not, you won't be able to pair to it.

In your phone, forget the pairing to Pioneer, and then re-pair to sync (based on what you're telling me, I assume you are no longer paired to sync).
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

Mukat4
New User

Post by Mukat4 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:51 am

I do understand that I can only pair to one Bluetooth system.

However, even if I set the radio setting to "Use sync" for handsfree calling, it is not possible to pair my phone with sync any longer. going into the bluetooth settings, SYNC is not present as a possible device to pair to. No sequence of restarting powering down etc seem to make this possible.

Even when it is set to "Use radio", after start up, there is a message that appears on the screen that there are "No paired phones" though my phone is paired to the radio--which is why I think this is a message from sync.

At this point, I'm inclined to simply flash the module again and uncheck the sync options as it doesn't seem really needed if I simply pair to the phone.

Couple questions:

1) What elements do I loose when sync is not selected through the maestro other than the obvious sync lady talking to me and the ability to make calls etc... Specifically, do I loose any information that is currently displayed on the small built in screen in the f150 dash--clock, compass, and current information of media playing?

2) The clock displayed on the built in screen is always in 24hr time no matter the setting on the pioneer. Is this a glitch or just the way it is?

3) If I uncheck sync, will the annoying "no paired phones" message disappear?

4) To reflash the module, is there a specific procedure? Must it be reset and then flashed through weblink--or can it just be flashed again through the site by reselecting vehicle and options etc? I'm planning on leaving it in the car and saw the advice to either disconnect the battery or pull the fuse.

Thanks for the help.

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:23 am

1- You lose the ability to use the OEM microphone, the OEM bluetooth streaming, and the OEM aux and USB. The upper screen should still work.

2- That is a Pioneer firmware bug. We allow the time to be displayed, but the time information that is sent is generated by the radio.

3- If it is, in fact, a message from Sync, then yes- that message would disappear.

4- There is no specific procedure. Simply remove power from the RR/disconnect it from the truck, hook the RR to the computer, and re-flash.
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

Mukat4
New User

Post by Mukat4 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:33 am

If this helps others...

Disabling the Sync in the Maestro reflash options did not suppress the message that No Paired Phones Found.

If I pulled the SYNC fuse, the message was suppressed--confirming it was from Sync. (but didn't want to loose the built in USB port--mostly for another charging option (thus pulling the fuse was ruled out)
RESOLUTION:

Although a bit annoying, this seems to solve the issue. Since I decided to not use SYNC to make calls anyway--
1) Reinstalled FORD factory stereo.
2) Went through the menu and set "BLUETOOTH OFF"
3) Reinstalled PIONEER stereo.

No more message.

Perhaps there was an easier way, but this seems to have solved the issue.

cexshun
New User

Post by cexshun » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:39 pm

Thanks for the steps on fixing this. I'm having the exact same issue. Annoying that I have to rip the pioneer out and reinstall the factory radio to fix this. When you reinstalled the factory radio, did you have to pull the Maestro also, or just the single radio harness?

Mukat4
New User

Post by Mukat4 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:00 am

Yes ended up pulling the whole thing out just to unhook the cables. Yes a bit annoying but I’m much happier without that message

cexshun
New User

Post by cexshun » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:07 am

Thanks. Interesting we have the exact same truck and exact same head unit. And we seem to be having the exact same problem. So we know what's causing the problem, do we have any theories on which manufacturer needs to change? Is it Pioneer or iDataLink?

mpjmeyer
New User

Post by mpjmeyer » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:04 am

I also have a 2012 F-150 and going to be installing the 2330 next week. I do have a question in regards to the sync issue as I'm still trying to justify spending the extra $$ for the Maestro.

1. Other than keeping the stock microphone, are there any other benefits to keeping sync?

2. The 2330 is already equipped with apple carplay, wouldn't sync mess with that??

3. Would it be better to just disable sync and just use carplay?

billr
ADS Team

Post by billr » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:06 am

If for some reason someone loves Sync, loves the way it operates, and just can't deal with the Pioneer microphone I would say keep it. HOWEVER, why use a system that is at least 6-7 years old when your brand new Pioneer can do everything plus more and work and sound better.
Plus Sync and Carplay will conflict with each other since they both would want to handle the phone calls and we don't want that.
In my truck I put my microphone up near the mirror so you don't really see the mic.
William (Bill) Repicky
Automotive Data Solutions Technical Support
MECP Master Certified
ASE A6 Certified
866-427-2999

Mukat4
New User

Post by Mukat4 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:26 pm

Disable sync before you start install. You'll be happier. I also ran the mic up the pillar under the headliner and placed on the wire bundle going to the mirror--using a little black electrical tape.

THe Maestro makes it easy to assign buttons and controls--highly recommended.

Also recommend the Scosche face plate over the MAestro double bezel. Careful with the hidden screw on bottom by the sync usb. Good luck.
Last edited by Mukat4 on Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cexshun
New User

Post by cexshun » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:31 pm

100% agree. Disable sync before removing the stock radio.

I ran my mic up the pillar and just clipped it at the top of the A pillar. I didn't see any need to run it under the headliner to the mirror.

Return to “Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda”