Having trouble with Haltech OBD2 and RR

Steering Wheel & Radio Replacement Combo
rabtech
New User

Having trouble with Haltech OBD2 and RR

Post by rabtech » Tue May 15, 2018 11:25 am

I have a Haltech Elite 1500 ECU in this vehicle and it has 2 CAN systems. It has the AUX CAN port which communicates with Haltech specific devices. And it has the regular OBD2 CAN port that feeds the OBD2 Plug. It has all the regular OBD2 protocol traffic. And to confirm this, it works perfectly with my Bluetooth OBD2 device and my android tablet with the TORQUE app. It gives me all the gauges and info.

In this vehicle I have a Kenwood DNX-574S and I have the standard Maestro RR device. I have hooked the Brown-Red Brown-Yellow to the CAN HI and the CAN LOW on the harness. The OBD2 port also gives me the ground and the full time positive and the switched positive. I am not using the red wire and I am using the gray/red to the switched power I have checked all the wires and I have good connections. And just to confirm I have the yellow wire to the full time hot and the black to the ground.

I have flashed the module as a MITSUBISHI ECLIPSE BASE 2006-2012. I have selected No steering wheel control and I have selected Gauges only. NO radar detector.

The radio just displays OBD2 Error 1 . If I unplug the harness while on the guage screen it tells me the ignition switch is off. So its seeing the module. I can also go into the menu of the Kenwood and reset the Maestro and it all blink and reset. I have tried everything I know to do.

One thing that I need to mention. I have an older scan tool that will not work with this OBD2 plug. It just says "connecting". However I have 2 crappy $10.00 eBay bluetooth OBD2 readers that work flawlessly.

I have checked with Haltech and they say that they are using the standard OBD2 output on the port. I dont know what to try next.... I hope someone can help....

Here are some pics of the adapter and the Torque app working.

rabtech
New User

Re: Having trouble with Haltech OBD2 and RR

Post by rabtech » Tue May 15, 2018 12:04 pm

This video also explains that it will work. Which I already knew because i am getting obd2 to work with my bluetooth adapter.

But he confirms it in this video.

https://youtu.be/_zRDMyxjLRg

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Tue May 15, 2018 12:15 pm

Obviously, this isn't a normal supported solution, but it seems like it should work. Can you post pictures of the maestro harness connected to the wires, to ensure that your wiring is correct??

The most likely is that your can high and low are reversed, or you're using the wrong wires from the 18 pin on the RR.
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

rabtech
New User

Post by rabtech » Tue May 15, 2018 2:29 pm

I appreciate the reply. Im sure we can figure it out. I see you haven't failed anyone yet on here.... :D

I will go out right now and get some pictures of the wires I'm using. I have reversed them also. Your thought was the first one that crossed my mined. I have even tried the yellow/brown and yellow/red and flipped those also.

I get the error 1 message and then it asks me to make sure my wires are correct and hit retry.

Ill be right back and post the pictures. I just wanted to say thanks for helping....

rabtech
New User

Post by rabtech » Tue May 15, 2018 2:54 pm

Here are some pics of the wires I'm using. I made it as simple as i could. You can see I'm only using 2 plugs on the Maestro unit. And I'm only using the full time hot and the ground on the power plug. The red is tied up. On the 18 pin connector I am only using 3 wires. The gray with red trace is going to the switched power and the other two are brown/red trace and brown/yellow trace. and I have ties them both ways to my CAN wires.

I was just worried that the flash wasn't the correct flash to use. My thought was maybe it was to old of a vehicle to support the CAN OBD2 Protocol. I have no idea if I'm even in the right ballpark. :D :D

I have a huge event to go to in two weeks and would love to show off this device and have it working.

Here are the pics. They are all the same kinda. I just took at different angles so you could see wire positions.

rabtech
New User

Post by rabtech » Tue May 15, 2018 3:19 pm

When you look at this you have to remember that the Haltech is wired into the Polaris Slingshot harness. So the diagnostic plug is not wired to the factory Polaris ECU. It is connected to the Haltech. The Polaris Slingshot is no longer on the vehicle at all.

We can conform the obd2 from the haltech is working and wired correctly because i can use that adapter in one of the pictures (the one that converts the polaris diagnostic plug to obd2) and it works perfectly.

So with that knowledge. I used another polaris diagnostic plug and wired it just like the one i have for the obd2 plug and added the full-time hot pin to it. It should be a clean and neat solution to get everything to work...

rabtech
New User

Post by rabtech » Tue May 15, 2018 3:22 pm

One last brainstorm I had was this.... Is there something that is in the bluetooth adapters that isn't in the Maestro boxes? Some generic chip that makes it work with the Haltech.

But I guess there isn't because if you watch that video I included in my first post you can hear them explain how it is just generic obd2 port and will work with all available scanners.

So anyway,,, I was just rambling on...

Again. thanks for the help in advance...I appreciate it. I really do....

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Tue May 15, 2018 5:25 pm

I can't see any of your images. When I try to open them it just says "access denied".
Dara DeGrand
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

rabtech
New User

Post by rabtech » Tue May 15, 2018 7:13 pm

I apologize , Here are all of the pics in this one post.

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Wed May 16, 2018 10:15 am

One thing that could be causing OBD issues is the butt connectors on the can wires. When you have this many junctions, that could potentially cause signal loss and data corruption. Also, it says can, but what speed is it? HS, MS? Our firmware only reads Generic high-speed can messages.
Dara DeGrand
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

rabtech
New User

Post by rabtech » Sat May 19, 2018 7:40 am

Went back out yesterday and connected wires direct to harness from Haltech. It didnt make any difference. It would go from error 1 to error 2.

This morning I went out and measured voltage at can hi and can low. Both were prefect 2.8v each

NI had another bluetooth obd2 adapter and I plugged it into the port and it worked perfectly. I was able to pull up torque and it showed all the data coming across.

While I had it plugged in I did think to check and see if there was an information screen and there is . Here are 3 screenshots of the info that torque is displaying. I hope this tells you something useful. I have tried everything except flashing the module to a different vehicle. I don't even know if that it will help though.

rabtech
New User

Post by rabtech » Mon May 21, 2018 12:27 pm

Do you think they can make a flash so that I can use the RR with the haltech since they can see the format.

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Mon May 21, 2018 12:36 pm

Update: I did a little more digging on this, and the protocol this uses isn't compatible with what we read.
In your screenshot, it shows your protocol is the 11 bit, 250 kBaud. We only read 29 bit, 500 kBaud.
Dara DeGrand
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

Return to “Maestro RR”