2014 Durango No Fader

mochs
New User

2014 Durango No Fader

Post by mochs » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:41 pm

Hi, I have a 2014 Durango Limited with the Alpine 9 speaker system. I'm using a Maestro AR in the front to go to my Kenwood DMX7704S deck, and a Maestro AR in the back to go to my Kenwood XR600-DSP. At the XR600, I have Ch 1&2 as the front tweeters, Ch 3&4 is the front door 6x9s, and Ch 5&6 are the rear 6 1/2s. I am using the iDatalink cables at both ends - RR to deck and AR to amp.
While I do hear sound out of the rear speakers, the deck fader has no effect - front/rear are running off front signal it seems. Is this right? I didn't see anything in the RR or AR or the CH3 harness documentation regarding losing fader control.

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Re: 2014 Durango No Fader

Post by Dara DeGrand » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:05 pm

How are you using the AR- flashed for vehicle specific firmware, or universal mode?

We only intend you to use the AR with maestro firmware when you keep your OEM radio, so i have a feeling there's a conflict with how you're using the two modules. Otherwise, the Kenwood radio should just be sending its signal to the Kenwood amp, with the AR in universal mode to allow the XR-600.6 to turn on.
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

mochs
New User

Re: 2014 Durango No Fader

Post by mochs » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:00 pm

Hi Dara,

I'm using the vehicle specific firmware at both ends.

Actually, I figured it out. Even though I'm using the Kenwood (external) amp, since it's an iDatalink amp, I thought it must be capable of using the digital fader information the factory amp would. Turns out it does - I reflashed the RR, this time telling it to KEEP the factory amp (even though I'm not), and now the balance and fader works perfectly. In fact, I would almost bet I will even still have center and rear surround once I put a small 4 channel amp in there, feed it from the RCA outs of the Kenwood, and from there go to the center and rear tweeter wires that are part of the CH3 harness.

That said, I didn't even know there WAS a universal mode, how to get into it and under what circumstances it would be used for.

Return to “CH3 radio replacement solution”