ALPINE X209 RESTYLE COMPASS FUNCTIONALITY?

Group using the CH1, CH2 and CH3 firmwares for uConnect, steering wheel controls, OEM amplifier retention. compatible with select Mitsubishi and Volkswagen vehicles * see specific firmware for full feature list.
cornerbax
New User

ALPINE X209 RESTYLE COMPASS FUNCTIONALITY?

Post by cornerbax » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:43 pm

Good Morning,

From my understanding the Alpine X209 Restyle for the Wrangler's will not display the compass info from the unit to the EVIC like the Kenwood DNX units. It looks like Alpine partners with idatalink by bundling the RR Maestro with the X209 so I was curious if this will be a fix the Maestro engineers have in the works?

Dara helped answer my questions with the DNX893S and assured the engineers would have a fix to display the compass info from that head unit to the EVIC display and a firmware upgrade a couple of years ago came out and the issue was definitely corrected. I've used the idatalink Maestro RR for the last few years and it is an awesome piece of technology.

I've had friends and co-workers buy the Maestro because of how flawless it has been. Anyway, because the Alpine units have a compass display, and from what I have read, even have off road displays now with new firmware about to be released, I was hoping the compass display would also reflect within the Wrangler's Evic? Thank you in advance.

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Re: ALPINE X209 RESTYLE COMPASS FUNCTIONALITY?

Post by Dara DeGrand » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:59 pm

It is the radio's coding that determines if the compass info will show in the EVIC. Unfortunately, Kenwood is the only brand that does that at this time.
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

cornerbax
New User

Post by cornerbax » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:34 pm

Dara,

just for clarity (because it's definitely confusing) as it's interesting how different Wrangler Models head units and the compass module are engineered. I had always read that the 430N/730N head units (because they have built in NAV) had the compass module built in which is why if those units were removed, an aftermarket head unit (that had Nav/Compass) would have to display that info to the EVIC like the 430N/730N OEM units do. When the Wrangler is built from factory with the 130, base model radio the compass module from what I understand is separate from the head unit which is why people don't lose the compass display within the EVIC.

However, what is very interesting is there are people on the JK Wrangler Forums who are saying that they got rid of their 430N, Garmin based Navigational OEM head unit for head units that don't even have NAV capability like some Pioneer and Alpine models. One person installed the Alpine i207-WRA and they say their compass within the EVIC still functions perfectly months later.

That persons Wrangler is a 2017, so I am wondering if Jeep has been using a compass module for every head unit on recent builds, even if they have a Navigation based 430N or 730N? If that isn't the case, then I am wondering if it was ONLY the 730N head units like the one I removed that has the Compass module to relay to the EVIC built in?

Two years ago when I replaced my 730N head unit I posted here and you were helpful and I was pretty sure you said the idatalink engineers were working on a fix with the RR that allowed for the Compass data on that DNX head unit to be displayed within the EVIC. I think It was a firmware upgrade I did over a year ago on the Maestro RR module which brought the compass display back within my EVIC. As I said though, it is confusing that several people have removed their 430N's on newer Wranglers and replaced them with the i207 and Pioneer head units and are being used with the Maestro RR and they still have their compass reflect perfectly within the EVIC.

What do you know of this, Dara? Thank you again.

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:39 am

I honestly don't have a resource for which model radios are built that way. I just know the general facts. Internal compass = you'll lose your compass on the evic unless you use kenwood.
External compass = you get to keep it, no matter which radio you install.
Dara DeGrand
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

cornerbax
New User

Post by cornerbax » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:45 pm

Dara,

thanks again for the help. I had always thought because both the 430N and 730N have built in NAV/COMPASS that the compass was internal that displays to the EVIC as I know for a fact the 730N removed from my Jeep had the compass internally as I lost it when I upgraded to the Kenwood DNX893. It appears that the 430N equipped Wranglers may also have the compass module internally as well, unless the last year of Wranglers were made with the compass module internally.

Either way the DNX893 is the best head unit I've ever owned. It has NEVER froze, works lightning quick and produces excellent sound quality. The only downside is I have never liked the look in my Wrangler. It sits in a generic DIN kit and definitely doesn't look that good but I've always overlooked that because of how great the head unit is overall. With that said, I can get a very crazy deal on a new X209-WRA-OR Alpine restyle head unit that looks factory and that offers Off-Road maps and visuals like TILT, etc. when off road.

It is very baffling that Kenwood (in which their DNX head units can be used in virtually any vehicle) has worked with idatalink and the Maestro RR and allowed for the compass data to be displayed to the EVIC as the factory head unit did. While Alpine with their Restyle WRA Units is specific ONLY to Wrangler and in which the X series have built in Nav/Compass, and in which Alpine advertises everything "Factory". Yet you lose a big display within your EVIC for the Compass when installing the X209 or any other Alpine head unit with NAV/Compass capability because it isn't coded the same way as a Kenwood DNX model that isn't even specific to the Wrangler? Don't get me wrong, this isn't the biggest issue in the world, but I know a lot of people like myself don't like losing any OEM functionality when going aftermarket and if Kenwood worked with idatalink to correct this issue and Alpine actually bundles the Maestro RR within their packaging of the X series Head units, then how has this not been rectified when the unit is only specific to Wrangler?

Is Alpine saying it's ok to lose a factory setting/display with their head unit that is specific to Wrangler while Kenwood which is generic to any vehicle actually corrected this issue with idatalink over a year ago?

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:52 pm

It just boils down to the radio manufacturer, and how their radio's code is written. Kenwood is the only radio that is coded to send the compass information to an external display. While it may seem that these radios are specific to the wrangler, they are essentially a regular alpine radio with a dash kit included- that's what makes them vehicle specific. As an example, the i207-WRA is simply an iLX-207 with a wrangler dash it.
Dara DeGrand
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

cornerbax
New User

Post by cornerbax » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:44 pm

Dara,

I know Alpine has many restyle units for other vehicles, and a specific dash kit for those vehicles such as the Wranglers, however, the newest release X209-WRA-OR is definitely very specific to the Wranglers as it has off-road maps as well as tilt angle and off-road GPS Coordinates. This is why I am surprised that if Alpine has specific firmware specific to Wranglers, then how difficult would it be to allow that compass data to display to the EVIC such as kenwood DNX units do?

I have to find the post Dara, but I thought I remember you mentioning in that post a couple of years ago that the idatalink engineers were working on a way to display that compass data to the EVIC with the Kenwood head units. What I am confused on is I know I had no compass display for about a year with the DNX893S, but then Idatalink released a new firmware update that corrected the issue and the compass has displayed within the EVIC for the last year or so with no problems. If it were Kenwood engineers and coding of their DNX radios, why did the idatalink RR firmware a year later correct the issue?

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:38 pm

It still doesn't change the fact that Alpine does not code their radios to allow the compass information to be sent. This is not something that we can override. We can only populate information on an external display if the radio allows that information to be sent out (meta-data, as an example).
Dara DeGrand
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

cornerbax
New User

Post by cornerbax » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:51 pm

Understood...and makes sense. As I said, it just seems peculiar Alpine would advertise the "FACTORY" look, feel and functionality when some factory functionality is being lost because they aren't coding their radios like another manufacturer such as Kenwood. Again, it isn't life or death with the compass thing it's just peculiar that Alpine would think it's ok to have two big dash marks on the EVIC where the Compass display would normally be.

Kenwood thought it was a big enough issue to correct it. At any rate, thanks again for the helpful info, have a good night.

Return to “Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep”