2013 Subaru BRZ w/ 4200NEX

Steering Wheel & Radio Replacement Combo
datalinker
New User

2013 Subaru BRZ w/ 4200NEX

Post by datalinker » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:47 pm

Hi,

I am currently attempting to get the idatalink maestro working in my car but the unit does not seem to be powering on. Should the LED be on or blinking when accessory power is on?

For my installation, I am only looking to get the OBD-II vehicle information passing to the radio. I am using the wiring harnesses that came with the maestro rr unit as I don't need any of the extra wires attached with the TO-1 harness (not using stock speakers, no OEM backup camera, using aftermarket aux and usb plugs). I currently have the harness connected based on the following wiring diagram for the BRZ: http://images.idatalink.com/corporate/C ... 160526.pdf. Are there any other connections needed aside from those instructions? It seems in pictures online of the TO-1 that the red accessory wire in the power harness may actually be connected?

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Re: 2013 Subaru BRZ w/ 4200NEX

Post by Dara DeGrand » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:49 am

The LED should not be blinking when the car is on.

The way you have it flashed and the way you have it wired are two totally different firmwares and configurations. This will NOT work. You need to either use the TO1 harness, since you have it flashed with the TO1 firmware, OR flash it as one of the cars in the guide that you referenced (for best results, I'd recommend a 2013 Subaru Tribeca).
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

datalinker
New User

Post by datalinker » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:48 pm

It seems the Subaru Tribeca does not have support for Vehicle Information that I am interested in (TPMS, etc). I just need to know what is needed to be connected on the Maestro side to get everything working. I remember looking up installation for the BRZ before the TO1 harness was available or at least listed for the BRZ but just got around to installing it recently. Which pinouts are needed to be connected to work with the TO-1 firmware?
I have all the wires/harness adapters needed, I just need to know if there are any extra connections required aside from the power/accessory/ground and canbus connections.

Similarly, last year I installed a Maestro RR into my 2008 WRX STI and it seems like there is now support for Vehicle Information, which I am interested in enabling for the car. However, it seems that the SU-1 harness is listed as a required accessory now for the car. Can I no longer update my Maestro RR to support the latest firmware versions and add this functionality? What changes in the wiring connections are needed to support the latest firmware? I am assuming that vehicle information is being retrieved over the canbus.

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:36 am

We have never supported vehicle info without a t harness. You must either purchase the TO1 and get vehicle info, or hardwire the RR, flash as a tribeca, and just get gauges and steering wheel controls. We never had any other option.

It's the same story with the WRX. It's not just a firmware update and simple wiring changes- everything is different- the wiring, the way the outputs are configured in the firmware, etc. The bottom line is, in ANY firmware, if you want vehicle info, you must use the required t-harness.
Dara DeGrand
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

datalinker
New User

Post by datalinker » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:58 am

So, as I understand it, the TO1 harness is more then just wires connecting pins from the OEM harness to the Maestro RR harness?

If I get the TO1 harness, which wires would I be fine without connecting? I usually depin the connectors for installation so that only the wires needed are used. I'm guessing I won't need the 6 pin speaker harness as it contains factory rear speaker connections unless the Illumination(-) is needed? I can also remove the front speaker wires from the 10 pin harness. Is the 28-pin harness needed for my use or should I be fine without connecting it - I'm guessing the only things I could potentially need from it would be VSS/Reverse Gear unless I don't need those outputs for my head unit? Finally, I think there is a 16 pin rear camera harness but my car is not equipped with a rear camera so I'm guessing I would not need that either?

Also, is the Audio cable (D) in the installation manual used for the OEM auxiliary input? Since I replaced the OEM USB/auxiliary input, this connection should also not be needed?

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:34 am

Yes, there's a LOT more going on in the TO1 than just simple connections.

If you're using aftermarket amps, you can do without the speaker wires. The 28 pin connector is for steering wheel controls, so I don't believe you'll need that.

The audio cable doesn't do the OEM aux. It sends the audio if we retain your OEM satellite radio, or OEM usb.
Dara DeGrand
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

Return to “Maestro RR”