2011 Tundra SR5 with RR2 and Kenwood DNX996XR not showing correct tire pressure

Group using the TO1 and TO2 firmware * see specific firmware for full feature list.
Thumper_6119
New User

2011 Tundra SR5 with RR2 and Kenwood DNX996XR not showing correct tire pressure

Post by Thumper_6119 »

I recently had a local shop install my Kenwood DNX996XR along with a Sirius VXM300 and a MaestroRR2. Everything seems to be functioning correctly and displaying the correct data except for the tire pressure. All 4 tires are showing exactly 50psi. When I checked the tire pressure manually, all 4 were within a few psi of 50. I inflated each tire to the proper 65psi, but the display is still showing 50psi on each tire. The temps on each tire display within a few degrees of each other, and the temps change when driving vs parked. I thought it might be that the range was incorrect (as my fuel display was incorrect, which I was able to resolve by setting the fuel capacity to the proper capacity), but I am not able to find any such settings for the TPMS. The firmware on the Kenwood is up to date as is the firmware on the MaestroRR2. I am unfamiliar with how all of the components interact with each other to know where to start troubleshooting or finding a resolution/fix. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

DustMagnet
New User

Re: 2011 Tundra SR5 with RR2 and Kenwood DNX996XR not showing correct tire pressure

Post by DustMagnet »

What kind of tires are you running at such high pressures? :shock: Wouldn't a 2011 Tundra be 30psi/33psi front/rear? (https://tirepressure.com/2011-toyota-tu ... e-pressure)

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Re: 2011 Tundra SR5 with RR2 and Kenwood DNX996XR not showing correct tire pressure

Post by Dara DeGrand »

It could be that the maximum number for TPMS in the coding is 50 and it cannot go above that. I'll have to check with the engineer.

UPDATE: Our maximum tire pressure is 999 psi, and we're simply taking the number the OEM sensors give us and showing it on-screen. If the display doesn't go above 50, it is possible that the sensor in the tire has a maximum reading of 50 psi. It may stop reading and not report any value higher than that.
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

Thumper_6119
New User

Post by Thumper_6119 »

DustMagnet wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:05 pm
What kind of tires are you running at such high pressures? :shock: Wouldn't a 2011 Tundra be 30psi/33psi front/rear? (https://tirepressure.com/2011-toyota-tu ... e-pressure)
Lt 305/55R 20 Pathfinder. Those are Discount Tire brand tires, and I don't know about the wheels. It is a Texas Edition, but I don't know if they are original wheels. They have a "BSS" logo on the center. I replaced the tires with exactly what was on the truck when I bought it (used). Granted, I realize that I don't have to run the tires at the max pressure (which I usually don't run at absolute max), but the tires read 65psi.

Thumper_6119
New User

Post by Thumper_6119 »

Dara DeGrand wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:40 am
It could be that the maximum number for TPMS in the coding is 50 and it cannot go above that. I'll have to check with the engineer.

UPDATE: Our maximum tire pressure is 999 psi, and we're simply taking the number the OEM sensors give us and showing it on-screen. If the display doesn't go above 50, it is possible that the sensor in the tire has a maximum reading of 50 psi. It may stop reading and not report any value higher than that.
That was kind of what I was starting to think, but I wanted to confirm. Thank you very much for the information and for taking the time to check, I greatly appreciate it!

DustMagnet
New User

Post by DustMagnet »

Thumper_6119 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:15 am
DustMagnet wrote:
Lt 305/55R 20 Pathfinder. Those are Discount Tire brand tires, and I don't know about the wheels. It is a Texas Edition, but I don't know if they are original wheels. They have a "BSS" logo on the center. I replaced the tires with exactly what was on the truck when I bought it (used). Granted, I realize that I don't have to run the tires at the max pressure (which I usually don't run at absolute max), but the tires read 65psi.
20" BSS brand wheels are part of the Texas Edition but the OEM tires would be 275/55/R20. Even so, the pressures listed on the placard on the door frame should be correct. I would not be surprised if Dara's speculation of a max range for the senders, since the tires should never be at that high of pressure.

Thumper_6119
New User

Post by Thumper_6119 »

DustMagnet wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:27 pm
Thumper_6119 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:15 am
DustMagnet wrote:
20" BSS brand wheels are part of the Texas Edition but the OEM tires would be 275/55/R20. Even so, the pressures listed on the placard on the door frame should be correct. I would not be surprised if Dara's speculation of a max range for the senders, since the tires should never be at that high of pressure.
Thank you for that information and for taking the time to respond. I appreciate it. You are both correct that the max range for the sensors is 50psi. I deflated the left front tire to see if the readout would respond. It did, however, it responded in the readout's right rear tire. Apparently, the tires had moved around from their original positions at some point, and the TPMS sensors were not resynchronized. I Went through the process of resynching them, and I reinflated the tires to 45psi. That is what I have found to be the most comfortable ride while still providing enough pressure to haul my horses around. Less than that, it seems to be really spongy and not a stable feeling ride. More than that makes it seem like I am riding on stone wheels (not to mention it seems like traction is greatly compromised). But I learned some new things about how my truck works, so it was a good experience. Thanks, y'all.

Return to “Toyota”