2016 Challenger - Kenwood P-XR600-6DSP

Group using the aCH2 and aCH3 firmwares for vehicle with premium audio * see specific firmware for full feature list.
kwkride
New User

2016 Challenger - Kenwood P-XR600-6DSP

Post by kwkride »

I have already talked to a few of you on tech support calls.
I thought I would post here to see if anyone has any different ideas.

I have a 2016 Dodge Challenger with the base 6 speaker system and no factory amplifier.

I have installed a Kenwood Excelon P-XR600-6DSP system in my 2016 Challenger. This setup comes with and iDatalink Maestro AR. I also purchased a iDatalink HRN-DSP-CH3 T harness. (This was suggested by the idatalink Maestro website for my combination)

The amplifier and the Maestro AR are mounted in the trunk of the car using the extension cables that came with the Kenwood unit.

Everything is connected but I am not having any luck with "programming the car" to say that it has an amplifier now. I have reflashed the module a few times and I can not get it to work. I turn the ignition to RUN and press the parking brake on-off-on. A couple of times I've gotten a horn beep, but nothing when I turn on the turn signal. The last couple of times, the horn has blasted for at least 10 - 12 seconds. Then nothing.

Per a suggestion from Dara, I tried adding an external ground connection to the data plug between the amp and the Maestro AR. There was no change after this.

One tech had me check voltages from both of the 2 pin plugs in the CH3 harness that are being used and they are within spec.

The last tech that I talked to suggested that try to use the Maestro AR up in the dash to see if I could at least get the car programming to work that way. He said that I could tap in to the yellow and black wires in the harness to get power for the AR since the data cable would not be plugged into the amplifier. I didn't think to ask where these wires should connect to the AR for powering it though, so I haven't tried this yet.

He thinks that there may be an issue using the HRN-DSP-CH3 T harness with the Kenwood extension cable.

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Re: 2016 Challenger - Kenwood P-XR600-6DSP

Post by Dara DeGrand »

Does your OEM radio have carplay? What is the 10th digit of the vin?
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

kwkride
New User

Post by kwkride »

It does not have Carplay.
The 10th digit is G
It has the 5" screen

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand »

Thanks for that info. I am working with our R&D and engineering teams to see if we can figure out what's going on here. I'll update soon.
Dara DeGrand
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

kwkride
New User

Post by kwkride »

Thank you very much!

kwkride
New User

Post by kwkride »

Dara, yesterday you asked about the version of harness that I have.
It is HRN-DSP-CH3 Version 1.0.0

Sorry, that’s a mistake, that tag is on the Kenwood extension cable. There is no tag on the T harness.

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand »

After going over this with our engineers and R&D team, the only thing left to try is what we suggested yesterday- plugging the AR in at the radio, doing the radio configuration, and then moving the AR back to the trunk. The data lines being extended through that extension harness could be the root of the issue.
Dara DeGrand
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

kwkride
New User

Post by kwkride »

Where do I provide power to the AR? The middle wires of the data plug?

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand »

Red and black on the data cable. 12V to red, ground to the black.
Dara DeGrand
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

kwkride
New User

Post by kwkride »

The system is working now!

I hooked the AR up in the dash and was not successful in programming the car for an amplifier.

I called tech support again. I’m sorry, I didn’t catch the name of the man I was talking with. He had me check several things. We ended up flashing the module to firmware 2.4 instead of 2.5 (the latest). Then with the AR plugged in up front, the programming worked.

He had me confirm this by plugging the radio in directly to the car harness as a test. It played sound only through the rear speakers with no volume control. He said that this proves that the programming worked and the car was now in amplifier mode.

Now your engineers will want to know that this was already the case even though there was no honking horn indication that the programming had been set. Last night I had plugged the radio back in directly just to listen and it only had sound through the rear speakers with no volume control.

I’m guessing that one of the times previously, the programming had worked and the horn just didn’t honk to tell us.

But now the system is working great and I really appreciate all of the help and support that I received from all of you.

Thank you!

Return to “Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep”