Feedback on MFT1 kit in a S550 Mustang

Group using the FO1 and FO2 firmware for Ford SYNC retention * see specific firmware for full feature list.
Cathul
New User

Feedback on MFT1 kit in a S550 Mustang

Post by Cathul »

Ok, so I got a Maestro RR, the MFT1 kit and a Kenwood DDX9705s radio for my S550 Mustang GT Premium.
I ordered everything via EBay as we cannot get and use the idatalink products over here in the European Union.

So far, everything works after flashing the RR twice.
Fitment of the MFT1 brackets is mediocre as it looks like that they are a little bent. As i‘m in Europe a replacement is out of question, so i made it work.
MFT1 manual does not state anything about the size of the radio, but oh my goodness. If you ever think about getting any aftermarket radio for your Mustang together with the MFT1 please make sure you buy a shallow mount radio. Putting RCA connectors into the back of the radio makes mounting everything into the car almost impossible.
It would be a good idea to recommend shallow mount radios in the manual for the S550 Mustang just to avoid frustration on the customers side while trying to put everything into the car.

The good thing is, no more shitty Ford SYNC radio, and keeping the factory HVAC controls.

All in all i recommend this kit as the RR is probably the best integration kit on the market for the S550 Mustang.

Best regards,

Peter

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Re: Feedback on MFT1 kit in a S550 Mustang

Post by Dara DeGrand »

Thanks for the review! I'll pass this along to our R&D manager.
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

Cathul
New User

Post by Cathul »

Very welcome...

But allow me to ask one question.

With the SYNC3 it was possible to switch on the radio even without turning the ignition on.
Is that still possible? Haven't really tried it yet, but need to redo my DSP tuning after the radio swap and it would be great if this would work like it did with the SYNC3.
If not, i'll have to bite the bullet and turn the ignition on and make sure to turn off the headlights and climate controls.

Best regards,

Peter

Chris LaRoche

Post by Chris LaRoche »

The ignition will have to be turned on for the radio to power up with the RR. This is one thing we don't allow to happen with an aftermarket radio.

Thanks!
Chris LaRoche
Automotive Data Solutions
Technical Support - Maestro
MECP Master Installer

Cathul
New User

Post by Cathul »

Dear Chris,

then this should also go into the description/manual.
All other integration kits (Metra/Scosche) retain the RAP (retained accessory power).
For some people that might be a necessary information.
Is the RAP in the S550 Mustangs done via CAN bus? Even if it was done via CAN the stock accessory power wire should be hot while RAP is on after shutting down the ignition. If so, would i get the retained accessory power back if i wire the radios red wire to the cars accessory power wire instead of the wire from the RR?

Best regards,

Peter

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand »

I'm trying to follow here, because you're talking about two different things. Being able to turn the radio on without the key is totally different than the radio staying on after the key has been turned off (RAP).

Metra advertises that they support RAP. That generally means the radio should stay on until you open the door. I do not believe they have a way to manually turn the radio on before the key comes on.
Dara DeGrand
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

Cathul
New User

Post by Cathul »

Yes, sorry. It's two different things.

Fiddled around with the radio today. When driving around, then parking and shutting off the engine the radio continues to play until i open the door.
That's good and therefor solved.

What was possible with the SYNC3 system was to put the radio on without putting the car into ignition.
Literally, you opened the car, get in and the SYNC3 screen awakens. From there you can access all settings, start up the radio, bluetooth, Carplay and stuff, which made tuning really convenient as you didn't had to start the ignition or engine first to start tuning the car (but all with a battery tender of course).
This is not possible with the RR and understood (sad, but understood).

Another question.
When engine is running and i put the car into reverse the screen shows the backup camera.
When putting the car into park or drive after being in reverse the camera shuts off, but the radio still shows the Maestro reverse screen, not the radio screen. At the moment i have to press the back icon in the upper right corner to get back to the default screen of the radio.

Is this configurable somehow?

Thanks so far for your answers,

Peter

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand »

Go into the OEM Setup of the radio and turn parking assist interrupt OFF.
Dara DeGrand
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

Cathul
New User

Post by Cathul »

Thank you... will do that a bit later after work. :)
Have to rip out everything anyway as i put the antenna adapter on the wrong antenna connector <sigh>.
My hands start to bleed just from thinking about that (as it's so tight in the dash with a full length radio).

Best regards,

Peter

Edit: works. And FM reception is a lot better when you use the right connector. :mrgreen:

Cathul
New User

Post by Cathul »

So far everything works great now. Having just a small problem with the compass in the instrument panel cluster. This one is constantly switching between north and the direction you‘re driving at. Thought about unplugging the GPSM Module to Test if this solves the problem.

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand »

That is normal; The OEM Radio sent the compass information to the cluster, but the DDX series radios are not able to send compass info out. Because of that, there is no information going to the cluster, so the compass can act a little strange under that circumstance.
Dara DeGrand
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

Cathul
New User

Post by Cathul »

Strange, cause my Mustang still has the GPRS module that sends the GPS data. And it definitely didn‘t act weird with a Metra kit.

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand »

Our engineer did make a slight adjustment for the compass in the firmware, but I'm not sure if that fix is live yet. I will check with him and see if it's up. I believe updating will fix this for you (once the firmware is released).
Dara DeGrand
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

Cathul
New User

Post by Cathul »

Nice, but I guess the cables in the MFT1 kit should be longer. Not really looking forward to rip out everything again for flashing.

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand »

The firmware with that fix (v2.0) will be live this afternoon.
Dara DeGrand
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

Return to “Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda”