Kenwood + SU2 installation--OBD & wiring questions

Calafax
New User

Kenwood + SU2 installation--OBD & wiring questions

Post by Calafax »

I'm set to replace the original HU in my Toyota 86 with a Kenwood DDX6706S using the RR + SU2 harness. Two questions:

1) I can draw CAN hi+low from the unused options connector behind the HU. Does the possibility exist of a conflict when simultaneously connecting to the OBD connector under the dash as might happen when the car goes in for service? If so, I can add a connector to the options connector wires that I can access from the glove box.

2) I'd like clarification of something appearing in the wiring diagram for my car. I'm looking at your support file ADS-RR(SR)-SUB02B-DS-IG-EN_20191107.pdf, under Toyota 86 with amp 2017-2019. I see these instructions: "Cut the Brow/Red wire from SU2 T-Harness (see Wiring
Diagram) and connect it to the Blue/White wire from aftermarket radio main harness" (p. 322). Right here I'd planned to insert an image but can't see how to do that, but the wiring diagram on the next page shows what appears to be a three-point connection among blue/white on the HU's harness, blue/white on the SU2's harness, and brown/red at the SU2's 28-pin connector. Which of the following is correct? A) A three-point connection among the three wires, as shown in the diagram. B) A two-point connection between only the HU's blue/white wire and the SU2's brown/red wire, as seems implied by the instructions.

Thanks for any guidance.

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Re: Kenwood + SU2 installation--OBD & wiring questions

Post by Dara DeGrand »

1 - Yes, but there's an easy fix for that. We have an OBD2 communication menu in the maestro settings of the radio. Simply turn the OBD2 communication to 'disabled' before you take it to be serviced, and re-enable it when you get it back.

2- We're having you do this because the amp turn-on wire in your car (and only your car) happens to be pinned here. It is normally a data wire, in all other applications. You simply need to provide amp turn-on signal to the car side of this wire, so your OEM amplifier turns on.
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

Calafax
New User

Post by Calafax »

Thanks for the info. A suggestion: You say, "We have an OBD2 communication menu in the maestro settings of the radio." I've heard that but couldn't find details about available settings. Even if they vary with the car and HU in use, a list of potentially available settings would answer some questions in advance and certainly be welcome for anyone installing an RR for the first time.

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand »

This setting in your specific case can be found here in the radio: Setup > AV > OEM Setup > Vehicle Features > Gauges > OBD2 communication

All of the maestro related menus are inside the "OEM Setup" section.
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

Return to “SU2 radio replacement solution”