Range afm disabler and wiring behind obd2 connector

Group using the GM3 and GM5 firmware for Onstar bluetooth, sat radio, Door chime, turn signal retention and steering wheel control, custom gauges, vehicle info, park assist... * see specific firmware for full feature list.
jpar
New User

Range afm disabler and wiring behind obd2 connector

Post by jpar »

Hello, I have a '12 Silverado with Kenwood ddx 374bt and Maestro rr and gm5+ harness. I have really enjoyed using the gauges function and it has been very useful as well with the "check engine light" reset.

I recently purchased a Range afm plug-in disabler for the truck, and as you can guess, it takes the place of the obd2 plug-in from the harness. Is it possible to splice the 2 wires from the harness plugin to behind the obd2 connector and leave the Range plugged in and use both simultaneously? I am familiar with the pinout of the plugs, I know about changing the settings in Maestro to obd on demand, but am concerned about any conflicting data communications.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Re: Range afm disabler and wiring behind obd2 connector

Post by Dara DeGrand »

You could try doing that, but it may not work. Most vehicles are only able to talk to one scan tool at a time, so trying to use both simultaneously may result in one of the devices not working.
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

jpar
New User

Post by jpar »

Not exactly the definitive answer I was hoping for.

Zack Flynn
ADS Team

Post by Zack Flynn »

Our modules intentionally stop communicating when we see other devices on the network, to prevent data collisions. It is not likely that you will get both devices working together since we pull our diagnostic info from high speed CAN, which most likely is how your Range engine management device is communicating as well. Probably not the answer you were hoping for, but honest none the less.
Zack Flynn
ILF Consulting LLC
MECP Master Installation Technician and SME

jpar
New User

Post by jpar »

No, thank you sir! Both of you! That's exactly what I was needing to know. I want to military splice into behind it, set the Maestro to on demand, or off, and see if that works. I'm not sure how exactly the Range communicates but I'll find out eventually... :D
Last edited by jpar on Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Zack Flynn
ADS Team

Post by Zack Flynn »

Sounds like a plan. Let us know how it works for you.
Zack Flynn
ILF Consulting LLC
MECP Master Installation Technician and SME

jpar
New User

Post by jpar »

So one more thing and then I'll leave it be....
My limited understanding is that the Range module is an "active " device? Meaning it continuously communicates to disable V4 active fuel management within the ECM? And the Maestro module is not necessarily a "passive " receiver but is "active " as well? Causing data collisions within the CAN bus?
After further review of split Y-cables on YouTube and the web, I'm not so sure about what I wanted to do now. I'm not looking to fry the obd2 /ECM electronics. Any further thoughts? Thanks again !

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand »

Correct. When we read from the OBD2, we do it like a scan tool. It is unlikely that anything will be damaged; the vehicle will simply respond to one device and not report to the other. It's just a limitation of how the vehicle was designed; auto manufacturers didn't account for the fact that drivers would want to connect multiple scan tools simultaneously.
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

jpar
New User

Post by jpar »

Well alrighty then! Think I'll stay with everything "as is" for now. Thank you for your answers and I hope y'all are staying safe and healthy.

Return to “Chevrolet, GMC, Buick, Cadillac, Pontiac, Saturn, Hummer”