Maestro RR / Pioneer AVH4200NEX Front Speaker Issue

Group using the CH1, CH2 and CH3 firmwares for uConnect, steering wheel controls, OEM amplifier retention. compatible with select Mitsubishi and Volkswagen vehicles * see specific firmware for full feature list.
Mark7
New User

Maestro RR / Pioneer AVH4200NEX Front Speaker Issue

Post by Mark7 »

I recently installed Pioneer / Maestro RR combo in my 2014 Ram truck.

The installation went well, and all is working except one issue I cannot seem to resolve.

I lost my front dash speakers. The front in the doors work as well as the rear door speakers and they work as expected with the balance and fader controls.

Now I am second guessing myself as to weather the dash speakers ever worked... but I notice a sound difference compared with the OEM 5.1" radio.

When I flashed the RR I may have selected "Factory Amp" so I thought that might be the issue, but when running the flash demo on the Maestro site it shows the same firmware either way, factory amp selected or not.

Had a quick conversation with phone support and he told me dash speakers are wired in series? with the front door speakers. Is this correct?

There is a small cable I have left over that connects to the Maestro (Plug B if memory serves) on one end and it has a 3.5 mm plug on the other end. The cable is labeled "Front Speakers" but I have no idea where it would plug into the 4200 if that is indeed the issue.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Mark

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Re: Maestro RR / Pioneer AVH4200NEX Front Speaker Issue

Post by Dara DeGrand »

Even if you mistakenly selected the amp to be retained, that is not a problem. If we see there is no amplifier present when the module initializes in the truck, it assumes there is no amp. In non-amplified vehicles, the maestro will not impact the audio. It simply goes from the radio out to the speakers. The tech you spoke to is correct in that the dash speakers and door speakers are wired on the same channel. Have you checked your crossover settings to ensure high frequencies are allowed to pass?
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

Mark7
New User

Post by Mark7 »

Dara DeGrand wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:27 pm
Even if you mistakenly selected the amp to be retained, that is not a problem. If we see there is no amplifier present when the module initializes in the truck, it assumes there is no amp. In non-amplified vehicles, the maestro will not impact the audio. It simply goes from the radio out to the speakers. The tech you spoke to is correct in that the dash speakers and door speakers are wired on the same channel. Have you checked your crossover settings to ensure high frequencies are allowed to pass?
Thanks for the quick reply.

I was assuming he was correct, just wondering what I was missing. He also told me to look at crossover frequency and I did check it, but I am confused by the UI on the Pioneer head unit when it comes to adjusting crossover frequency. I guess I will have to study that further.

Do the dash speakers only pass through the highs? Or will they pass everything but just be distorted on lower freq's? I hear nothing out of them.

Thanks again... when I figure it out I will pass along what I found.
Mark

Mark7
New User

Post by Mark7 »

Raising the crossover freq on the front channel cured it. I had no idea the dash speakers were not full range.

Thank you!
Mark

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand »

Good deal- I'm glad you got it going!
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888