Maestro RR v3.0 Overheating

Group using the FO1 and FO2 firmware for Ford SYNC retention * see specific firmware for full feature list.
bguerrero12
New User

Maestro RR v3.0 Overheating

Post by bguerrero12 »

I'm installing a Pioneer AVH-w4500nex head unit in a 2014 Ford F150 and running into an issue where my maestro is over-heating. At first I was having trouble with climate controls, so I took my truck to an installer today. They contacted tech support and reviewed the wiring and confirmed that my wiring was correct, and came to the conclusion that I had a dead maestro. So I bought another 1 and plugged it in. Everything worked fine, except after a few minutes, I noticed a black spot on the sticker that has the serial #, and the maestro unit was hot to the touch. I looked at my previous unit and noticed this same black spot at the same location. Both units are v3.0. I've checked to see if my pioneer has updated firmware, but nothing is released so far. The new unit still works, but I'm afraid to plug it in and have it officially ruined, to the point I'll have to buy a 3rd unit. Help is appreciated.

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Re: Maestro RR v3.0 Overheating

Post by Dara DeGrand »

Do you still have the first module? If so, would you be able to pop the casing open and inspect it for burn marks? If there are any, seeing a photo of the circuit board might help us determine what part of the module burned up.
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

bguerrero12
New User

Post by bguerrero12 »

I do have the first one. One thing to note, it only heats up when connected to the head unit. When it's not plugged into the pioneer, and the red light is blinking, it just feels warm. I won't be able to post some pics till tomorrow sometime. Maybe this info helps some though.

bguerrero12
New User

Post by bguerrero12 »

First unit:

Second unit:

I don't see any evidence of heat/burning on the circuit boards themselves (just took pics of the 1st unit board, both look ok):

But clearly on the plastic, you can see melting occuring:

1st Unit:

2nd Unit:

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand »

I had the engineer look at your photos. Thanks for posting them. It's hard to say exactly what is causing your overheating issue. He suspects there could be a short somewhere, either in the t-harness or your wiring, but there is no specific direction to look in from the photos.
Dara DeGrand
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

bguerrero12
New User

Post by bguerrero12 »

What do you suggest I do at this point? Other than running really hot, the unit has been working fine. Working with tech support, both them and my installer said the wiring is correct and looked good. If it’s a problem with the harness, can they send me a new 1?

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand »

You should be able to exchange the harness under warranty from the dealer where you purchased the product. At this point, that's what we would recommend.
Dara DeGrand
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

bguerrero12
New User

Post by bguerrero12 »

Do you know if it's possible to just obtain the harness that originally came with the K150 dash kit? Maybe a part number or something for the harness itself? I'm looking at a few other harnesses and I don't see the pins that connect to the k150 dash kit included.

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand »

The K150 harness only comes with the dash kit. It is not able to be obtained separately.
Dara DeGrand
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

Return to “Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda”