2013 Sienna - smoking module

Smfriederich
New User

2013 Sienna - smoking module

Post by Smfriederich »

Hello,

I've installed the RR+T01 in my 2013 Sienna with nav, non-JBL system, with a Kenwood DDX396. Post install, everything worked except for the aux jack (and the expected loss of the factory mic). Steering wheel, triggered backup camera, all good. Drove 20min to church and all was fine. Driving back, Kenwood showed "miswiring DC offset error". Troubleshooting at home, reset Kenwood, would work for a min, then die. Eventually smelled smoke, pulled everything out, and found the module smoking. Here is a picture of the results: https://photos.app.goo.gl/BpDu2R53TjgDFQyY8

I've double checked the wiring and everything seems OK. Following this guide: https://images.idatalink.com/corporate/ ... 191114.pdf, everything matches up. The only thing I can see that didn't match was the steering wheel control cable, I had initially used older instructions and didn't realize it wasn't used. Any ideas? Should I check for specific voltage on some harness? I have received a replacement module, just want to check before frying this one. :D

Thank you for your time,
Seth

Zack Flynn
ADS Team

Re: 2013 Sienna - smoking module

Post by Zack Flynn »

DC offset error generally is referring to an issue with a speaker or the wiring for the speakers. I cant really see in your picture too well what you are trying to show is damaged. But it is not likely something that is related to the DC offset message you got, unless you somehow wired the left rear speaker positive to the Parking brake (light green) wire in the harness. That is about the only thing i could see being an issue with what you are describing.
Zack Flynn
Automotive Data Solutions
Technical Support & MECP Master Installation Technician
Zachary.flynn@adsdata.ca

Smfriederich
New User

Post by Smfriederich »

Zack, thank you for your reply. In the picture I was attempting to show the damage to the board, it's above the green connector. I will review all the wiring again this weekend. When I attempt to reconnect the green connector there is an electrical noise and eventually smoke from the module. Shipping it back to Amazon today.

Is there anything else I can check besides visually making sure the wires are correct?

Thanks,
Seth

Zack Flynn
ADS Team

Post by Zack Flynn »

The green connector is where that light green wire I was talking about goes to. Check all the other wires that you have connected that end in that green connector as well to make sure none of those get miswired.
Zack Flynn
Automotive Data Solutions
Technical Support & MECP Master Installation Technician
Zachary.flynn@adsdata.ca

Smfriederich
New User

Post by Smfriederich »

Have checked all wiring again, all looks good. Connecting new module and everything works fine, but there is a slight electrical smell right by the module. I'm concerned that leaving it connected will result in a failed module again. Speaker wiring is good, had no issues with stock HU, and no issues at first with this one during this quick test, fading speakers left and right sounds normal.

Light green on harness goes to parking brake cable from Kenwood, matching guide. My main concern is if something is wrong with the power, but it's just the red/black/yellow going to module, and the other RBY going to main harness for HU, right? Picture: https://photos.app.goo.gl/khZJ91cXPKGGVedv6. Any other ideas on what could be causing a failure after running for a while?

Thank you,
Seth

Smfriederich
New User

Post by Smfriederich »

Quick note, issue only presents itself with the green harness connected. No electrical smell if I connect the other 5 and leave green disconnected. I haven't modified the green harness at all, no splicing done to it. Not sure what to do.

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand »

I don't see anything obvious in your picture. The only reason you would get smoke is if something in the green harness is shorted to the opposite polarity. This could have occurred on the board of the RR and it somehow slipped through quality control, or one pair of wires in the green plug is shorted. It might not be anything you did, it could be something internally in how the harness was assembled. If you want to be safe, you could exchange the harness as well. Otherwise, if you wanted to test and see where the issue occurred, you could unplug the green harness and test for continuity between each of the wires in the green plug. If there is a short between any of the two wires in the harness, you will have continuity, and that will show you which two wires shorted.
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

Smfriederich
New User

Post by Smfriederich »

Thank you for the idea. Checked the green harness, the Red/black wire contacts black/yellow and blue/green. The top left blue contacts the top right blue as well. The return window has closed, do you have a possible fix for this?

Thank you,
Seth

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand »

Quick question - Did you meter continuity on the green plug with connected to the RR or disconnected?
Dara DeGrand
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

Smfriederich
New User

Post by Smfriederich »

Disconnected, didn't want to fry the RR.

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand »

On the t-harness, there is a white label that states the harness version number. What version do you have?

Where did you purchase your harness, and when?

If you tested with the key off, the readings you're getting with the red/black are normal.
Dara DeGrand
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

Smfriederich
New User

Post by Smfriederich »

I will check the version tonight and update you. Purchased from 3rd party seller via Amazon on Jan 5th. Van is a push button start, tested with what I believe is accessory/ignition power, not started. Thank you for the help.

Smfriederich
New User

Post by Smfriederich »

Version 1.40 on the harness.

Smfriederich
New User

Post by Smfriederich »

Just checking in, I'd like to work on this Sat if possible, any idea if I can fix the existing harness, or if I'll need to secure a replacement? Thank you, Seth.

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand »

I have asked our head engineer to look at the picture of your module's circuit board to see if we can tell which wires the short came from. As soon as I get an answer from him, I'll let you know.

Edit: It looks as if the issue is coming from the blue/yellow wire. Snip or de-pin that wire and the issue should go away. To retain the camera, you will need a test firmware and to hook up the yellow/black wire to the vehicle's camera power wire instead. To get the firmware, I will need to send it to your maestro account. Can you please PM me and tell me the email that you used to flash?
Dara DeGrand
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

Return to “TO1 radio replacement solution”