How to reset fuel tank capacity gauge

Steering Wheel & Radio Replacement Combo
jefish
New User

How to reset fuel tank capacity gauge

Post by jefish »

Pioneer 4500NEX
Maestro RR

I filled up my Jeep for the first time post-install, and noticed that the gauges screen on my 4500 showed 95% full. I'd like to reset the gallons, maybe subtract a gallon or so, but I can't figure out how. Some gauges will prompt for engine displacement or #cylinders if I remove and re-add them to the screen, but none of the gauges will re-prompt for fuel capacity. Anyone have a trick?

billr
ADS Team

Re: How to reset fuel tank capacity gauge

Post by billr »

If you go into the OEM settings/Vehicle Features/Gauges/Fuel Economy/Tank Capacity you can change amount of gallons.
William (Bill) Repicky
Automotive Data Solutions Technical Support
MECP Master Certified
ASE A6 Certified
866-427-2999

jefish
New User

Post by jefish »

Nice, thanks for that.

Turns out that if you don't back-back-back yourself out to the top level of OEM Settings, it'll drop you back to the bottom-level menu you left. I didn't know there were more menu options *above* where it kept taking me. So many more things to play with. :)

voodoo1226
New User

Post by voodoo1226 »

Not to hijack your thread, but related question...

My Dist. To Empty reading is way off. There is a Max and Min setting in the Fuel gauge and I am suspecting that has to do with the readings?

Please shed some light on how to set up to get accurate (estimate) readings.

Thanks in advance!

Chris LaRoche

Post by Chris LaRoche »

You'll want to confirm the fuel capacity is set up properly on the gauge showing fuel level. If it's set to 99 gallons or liters, for example, it's likely going to be significantly off. Also, if OBD2 communication is set to on demand vs auto disable, you may see more of a variance in the distance to empty.

Have you confirmed the size of your tank in the vehicle vs what's set on the level gauge?
Chris LaRoche
Automotive Data Solutions
Technical Support - Maestro
MECP Master Installer

voodoo1226
New User

Post by voodoo1226 »

Thank you for the quick reply Chris. And happy Friday!

I set the fuel tank to 19 gallons, which is the size for the 2011 FJ Cruiser. The remaining fuel on the fuel gauge looks about the same as the reads on my car's fuel meter. So it is probably correct. Just the Dist. to Empty is very off. The Max and Min button. How do you set those?

Also the OBD2 I believe I set to auto on (or always on). I will double-check when I set out to lunch later today.

Again, thank you for you help!

Chris LaRoche

Post by Chris LaRoche »

Min/Max would just be setting gauge parameters, for the low and high unit shown on each gauge. As long as fuel tank size is right, it's as close as we'll be able to get for mileage. If your vehicle has a built in MPG display, it's likely to be different than ours in the way it's calculated. OEM might delay, ignore, or otherwise modify the information it receives to come closer to an accurate number.

We're looking at a few variables, that can include MAF/VSS/fuel level/etc. and may not line up with the number the OEM display would show. And if you were to manually calculate by filling up to the same level, manually calculating it based on miles traveled vs gallons used, you'd come up with a third. As long as your fuel tank size is set, we should be in the ballpark of actual distance to empty, but obviously you'd want to rely on the fuel level gauge in the vehicle as well.
Chris LaRoche
Automotive Data Solutions
Technical Support - Maestro
MECP Master Installer

voodoo1226
New User

Post by voodoo1226 »

There is no built-in MPG display in my car. It's odd that the fuel tank capacity matches (my car's display & Maestro display), yet the Distance to Empty is off.

As you can see in the attached picture, my fuel tank shows 57% and range is 238 miles. On a full tank (filled to the max), my car's range is about 270 miles.

(Oops, can't add attachment/image).

voodoo1226
New User

Post by voodoo1226 »

Actually, if I do the math, 57% of 19 gallons is 10.83 gallons and if range is 238 miles, it's 21.98 MPG which is average for a car. My FJ consumes more gas than a normal car (due to straight up windshield). It gets about 17.

So all I need to do is enter a reduced size gas capacity (to 14.7 gallons). That should be close to actual.

Thanks!

Return to “Maestro RR/RR2”