Kenwood DDX6904s no communication to RR

Group using the VW1 firmware for Media Device Interface (MDI), Multi-Funtion Display (MFD), bluetooth, amplifier turn on, amplifier digital fader, amplifier gain adjustment, steering wheel control, custom gauges, vehicle info, park assist, Navigation arrows on MFD, climate status screen...
schaffs7
New User

Kenwood DDX6904s no communication to RR

Post by schaffs7 »

Hello,

My system was up and running normally until recently. I has some service done on the car and now have issues. The headunit will not boot up (not getting ignition signal) and I get the 2 red flashes then nothing...indicating a communication error?

If i bypass the RR by jumping the yellow and red so that the headunit starts it works as expected (minus RR functionality)

setup is : 2009 Audi A3 , Maestro RR, HRN-RR-VW1, ddx6904s

I can access the RR and flash it no problem via weblink. I ran the log reader / test and everything said pass (I can send the hex file if needed)...i have tried resetting and reflashing multiple times.

I tested the communication cable and it has continuity on all 4 wires end to end.

Running out of ideas other than the headunit maestro communication port isn't working but have no idea how to test that.

Thanks in advance for any help

Eric

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Re: Kenwood DDX6904s no communication to RR

Post by Dara DeGrand »

I recommend resetting the RR.

MAESTRO RR RESET PROCEDURE:
Turn the key to the OFF position, then disconnect all connectors from the module.
Press and hold the module’s programming button and connect all the connectors back to the module. Wait, the module’s LED will flash RED rapidly (this may take up to 10 seconds).
Release the programming button. Wait, the LED will turn solid GREEN for 2 seconds to show the reset was successful.
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

schaffs7
New User

Post by schaffs7 »

Dara,

I never got this resolved...I did the reset procedure multiple times.

I can take the Maestro RR out of the system and jumper the yellow and red wires together on the wiring harness, this lets the power get to the head unit and it turns on.

It seems the issue is the communication link is not working and the Maestro doesn't let the Red go to 12V, which prevents the head unit from turning on.

If I boot up the head unit on its own, is there a way to test the communication ports on it? It seems like I have to narrow it down to the Maestro or the Head unit causing the issue.

Thanks again
Eric

schaffs7
New User

Post by schaffs7 »

You can ignore my previous post, I have solved the issue. Seems to have been an issue in the main wiring harness for the car.

Return to “Volkswagen”