Mute/attenuate on reverse

smcross03
New User

Mute/attenuate on reverse

Post by smcross03 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:13 pm

Hello,
I just completed my install of a Kenwood DMX906s and maestro rr in my 08 Ford Taurus and have a question. The OEM system would attenuate the radio when the parking sensors detected an object which was nice sense the parking aid speaker is hard to hear. Since the radio has a reverse trigger and a mute wire can the maestro send the proper signals to mute/attenuate the radio when a reverse signal is sensed? Is it supposed to do this already and I did something incorrect? Your help is appreciated!

Scott

billr
ADS Team

Re: Mute/attenuate on reverse

Post by billr » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:18 am

Does the radio not mute/attenuate when the parking sensors are beeping?
I have a 12 F150 (same firmware as you) using a Kenwood DDX9703S and when I'm backing up the radio will mute when the parking sensors are beeping. I don't have the Mute wire of the Kenwood connected to anything.
William (Bill) Repicky
Automotive Data Solutions Technical Support
MECP Master Certified
ASE A6 Certified
866-427-2999

smcross03
New User

Post by smcross03 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:13 am

Hello Bill,
No it doesn’t. The mute (brown) wire is connected to the RR per the instructions. For what is worth, i did program a steering wheel button to mute the radio and this functions properly. Not sure if the brown wire is used for that function, but if it is, it does work.

Is it possible that my 08 Taurus doesn’t provide the same data as in 12 so the maestro isn’t getting the information to allow it to mute?

Is there a setting I can change some where?

Thank you,
Scott

billr
ADS Team

Post by billr » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:40 am

You can try and disconnect the Mute wire from the harness and see if that changes anything. it's possible we see that wire connected and it overrides how we operate.
Also, does your parking chimes come out like by the instrument cluster, in the dash, or are they coming out the speakers of your car?
Other thing you can look into, which I don't think will be there but can't hurt to look, is go into the settings and select AV. Go down to OEM Setup and see if there is a Parking Assist option. You should see Vehicle Features, Maestro Settings, and maybe Parking Assist. If it's there then there is an option for Mute on Detection.
In my vehicle there was no Parking Assist menu so it might not be there.
William (Bill) Repicky
MECP Master Certified
ASE A6 Certified
866-427-2999

smcross03
New User

Post by smcross03 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:57 am

Hello Bill,
It sounds like the chime comes out of the rear. I honestly haven’t paid that much attention.

When I check the wire, if it is connected and I disconnect it, will have to do anything with the RR or should it detect the new configuration on the fly.

Also, will it remove my ability to mute the radio with the button or is this handled through the data cable?

Thank you,

Scott

billr
ADS Team

Post by billr » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:37 pm

Scott,
you won't have to do anything with the RR when you cut the mute wire. Also the mute function will still work with your steering wheel since that command is sent though the data cable.
William (Bill) Repicky
MECP Master Certified
ASE A6 Certified
866-427-2999

smcross03
New User

Post by smcross03 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:40 pm

Bill,
Thank you, when I get the time to pull the radio back out I’ll give this a try.

Thank you,

Scott

Return to “FO1 radio replacement solution”