Kenwood with RR 08 Taurus Install

smcross03
New User

Kenwood with RR 08 Taurus Install

Post by smcross03 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:55 pm

Hello,
I just purchased a Kenwood DMX906s, RR with a FO1 harness to install in 2008 Taurus. I've been reviewing all the installation documentation (at least that I can find) in preparation for the install and everything is clear but just a few things.

1. I'm installing a backup camera, does the RR provide the reverse trigger to the radio? The install guide shows that I connect the purple/white (RR) to purple/white (Kenwood). Just want to confirm.

2. Does the switched 12V (red wire) from the RR that supplies the radio have enough current to power a reverse camera as well as the radio? I've read that some modules only provide enough current to operate the radio.

3. The Kenwood harness drawing (from Kenwood manual) for this radio is showing a power antenna lead which I know is generally for power up/down antennas, but in some cars this can be used to power an antenna amplifier for in-glass antennas. From everything I have read my 08 Taurus has one of these modules (yellow/green wire per wiring diagrams), but the maestro RR wiring diagram I downloaded from idatalink doesn't show a connection for a power antenna. Does the RR provide power for this already or is there an updated schematic that shows this? How do I make this connection if the RR doesn't take care of this?

Any assistance you can provide on these 3 issues would be greatly appreciated.

thank you,
Scott

Chris LaRoche

Re: Kenwood with RR 08 Taurus Install

Post by Chris LaRoche » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:03 pm

Hi Scott,

1. You're correct, wire purple/white to purple/white and the radio will trigger in reverse.
2. This should also work for your application with most cameras. We're able to support up to 15A on the red wire, provided the factory installed radio fuse is 15A or higher.
3. The power antenna lead from the radio won't be used, but instead our module sees when radio is on with the blue/white amp turn on output and activates any antenna turn on or factory amplifier on commands for you. So, radio blue wire won't be used on this install.

Thanks!
Chris LaRoche
Automotive Data Solutions
Technical Support - Maestro
MECP Master Installer

smcross03
New User

Re: Kenwood with RR 08 Taurus Install

Post by smcross03 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:44 pm

Hello Chris,
Thank you for the info! It appears this will be an even easier install than I anticipated!

Regards,
Scott

Return to “FO1 radio replacement solution”