Maestro RR Parasitic Voltage Drain

Group using the FO1 and FO2 firmware for Ford SYNC retention * see specific firmware for full feature list.
scurvydog
New User

Maestro RR Parasitic Voltage Drain

Post by scurvydog » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:44 pm

Hello,

I have a Maestro RR installed in my Ford Expedition along with a Pioneer AVH-2330NEX. I have a voltage drain on the car battery that became noticeable once I stopped driving my car daily for a commute.

I had the dealership traced down to the circuit with the car radio on it. They found that the radio/Maestro circuit pulled 0.045 Amp/hour and was the culprit.

I have Maestro RR installed and see other members on this forum having similar issues with other cars.
I followed the installation instructions provided when I installed the unit in 2016 and outside of the voltage drain am very happy with the performance. I upgraded the firmware this week from 3.1 to 3.7 and this did not resolve the issue.

Any guidance?

scurvydog
New User

Re: Maestro RR Parasitic Voltage Drain

Post by scurvydog » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:39 pm

As a last hail mary I upgraded the firmware on my Pioneer deck as well today.

Chris LaRoche

Post by Chris LaRoche » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:58 pm

Hi,

With the RR circuit drawing .045A, it's more than expected. Or is this draw total vehicle draw? Does the draw change at all with just unplugging the radio, leaving the RR/harness connected to the car? I'd be curious of a few readings, taken at the battery itself:

Total current draw on vehicle
Total draw with radio constant power fuse removed
Draw with radio unplugged, but RR/harness left installed, fuse inserted
Draw with RR/harness unplugged, fuse inserted

These would help to isolate if it's a problem related to our harness/module/wiring, the radio, or potentially something else on that same circuit. What year Expedition also might help validate the current draw is excessive or not, once we have those numbers.
Chris LaRoche
Automotive Data Solutions
Technical Support - Maestro
MECP Master Installer

scurvydog
New User

Post by scurvydog » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:43 pm

Year of Expedition 2008
Dealership notes say 0.025 or less for this model year. They confirmed it was the radio as they pulled the fuse and the draw went from 0.06 to -> 0.0.

My next step this weekend is to hookup my own volt meter and disconnect the radio which I believe is a 3 pin connector and check current draw. I do a fare amount of marine electrical DC work so I feel pretty confident on the connectors or if you need me to check resistance on some of the connectors.

Cheers
Rob

Chris LaRoche

Post by Chris LaRoche » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:26 pm

That works, great skill to have! My only worry is if the current draw test went to straight 0.0A, I'd question it. Because the vehicle should still have some resting current draw. 0.0 is ideal, but not something possible with computers and other components still connected.

If you're able to do the draw tests at the battery, that'd be ideal to confirm what they had tested and those other things I'd mentioned. We can definitely look into it from there!
Chris LaRoche
MECP Master Installer

scurvydog
New User

Post by scurvydog » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:01 pm

Thanks Chris,

Truly I can not say when they pulled the fuse to the radio that overall drain went to zero. The service notes state that the high drain went away. Will post an update on Monday on what additional information I could find.

scurvydog
New User

Post by scurvydog » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:27 pm

Chris,

It looks like the same wire connector "G" powers the radio and the Maestro so unless I unplug the radio itself they both power up. Do you have a recommended order of connectors listed in the installation wiring diagram that I should unplug and check?

Cheers,'
Rob

Chris LaRoche

Post by Chris LaRoche » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:46 pm

I'd start with everything connected, get total current draw.
Unplug just radio, leaving RR connected, draw test.
Then unplug RR harness from vehicle harnesses, draw test.
Finally, leaving everything unplugged at radio location, pull fuse, draw test.

That way you're removing one component at a time (until the fuse) to identify which component specifically is affecting your current draw readings.

Thanks!
Chris LaRoche
MECP Master Installer

scurvydog
New User

Post by scurvydog » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:33 am

Hi Chris,

I did some testing this week on the power drain. Here is what I found.

- With the ignition to off the after market radio pulls 0.0A on both the yellow and red wire on the connector to the radio. When power is on 1.05A is pulled on the yellow wire and 0.0A on the red wire to the radio.

- With the ignition off the Maestro on connector "G" would pull 0.04-0.05A on the yellow wire. That was with all other connectors removed from the Maestro and the connector on the radio removed.

- With connector G removed from the Maestro it pulls 0.0A on the yellow wire.

This leads me to believe that the issue is with the Maestro pulling power even with everything else disconnected.

Chris LaRoche

Post by Chris LaRoche » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:39 am

Chris LaRoche wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:26 pm
If you're able to do the draw tests at the battery, that'd be ideal to confirm what they had tested and those other things I'd mentioned. We can definitely look into it from there!
Chris LaRoche wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:46 pm
I'd start with everything connected, get total current draw.
Unplug just radio, leaving RR connected, draw test.
Then unplug RR harness from vehicle harnesses, draw test.
Finally, leaving everything unplugged at radio location, pull fuse, draw test.

That way you're removing one component at a time (until the fuse) to identify which component specifically is affecting your current draw readings.

Thanks!
Just to be clear, the readings we need to get are at the battery, not inline at the radio yellow or red wires, or by individually pulling harnesses from the RR and testing results one by one. I can't predict how the RR will respond with any accuracy if it has power, but we suddenly disconnect another harness.

Can you set this up testing current AT the battery, making sure never to turn the ignition on while unplugging anything? The overall draw on the vehicle and how it's affected by the 4 steps I quoted are more important to judge what's going on with the vehicle.

Thanks!
Chris LaRoche
MECP Master Installer

Return to “Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda”