2015 F250 with Sony Amp

rayw72
New User

2015 F250 with Sony Amp

Post by rayw72 »

I'm looking to replace the factory radio and Sony amp with aftermarket equipment. I don't want to retain Sync but I do want to keep the door chimes and other warning sounds.

New head unit will be a Kenwood DDX9906XR. I'll be running two JL amps. I plan to use the factory speaker wires.

I'm not sure what all is needed to avoid cutting the factory harness.

Maestro RR
Kit-MFT1

What else would I need? Which retailers with have the KIT-MFT1? Can I get it from Crutchfield? What about Amazon?

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Re: 2015 F250 with Sony Amp

Post by Dara DeGrand »

You would need the RR and MFT1, but if you're planning on bypassing the OEM amps, you'll have to do some wiring to bypass the OEM amplifier; there is no way to get around that.

Crutchfield will be stocking the MFT1 (it just shipped from our warehouses a week ago, so it is still working its way into distributors' hands). I do not recommend purchasing through Amazon, as they are not an authorized Maestro dealer.
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

rayw72
New User

Post by rayw72 »

Thanks for the reply. Another question for you.

I'm thinking about running the Kenwood XR600-6DSP amp. Would I need an RR for the Kenwood head unit and an AR for the Kenwood XR600-6DSP?

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand »

I don't recommend that amplifier if you're going to replace the radio. You'd be adding an unnecessary layer of complication (and additional cost) to the install. I would use the Kenwood as your source unit and hook it directly to whichever amplifier/DSP you choose.
Dara DeGrand
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

jimburd
New User

Post by jimburd »

Half way through my installation, and I have hit a major issue. Forgive me if I am not doing this properly; this is my first post to this forum. Vehicle is a 2015 F250 with the Sony Premium Stereo. It has the 8 inch color LCD touchscreen. I am attempting to install the Pioneer AVIC-W8500NEX system. My vehicle has the "closable dash top storage with a media hub". Please see image below. Image

I have purchased the idatalink Maestro KIT-MFT1, along with the idatalink Maestro Rr. Problem I'm facing is that the mounting brackets with the MFT1 and the subsequent placement of the Pioneer will not allow mounting the Pioneer into the dash without either cutting away major sections of the dash top storage tray (including the latch) or removing the entire tray, along with a powerpoint, the media hub, and the center speaker.

Has anyone dealt with this issue previously and/or does anyone have a thoughtful solution? I'm a bit disappointed that the engineers hadn't alerted about this issue when I was purchasing these products.

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand »

We have had several flashes of this exact configuration (same vehicle, same radio) with no fitment issues. Can you post pictures of what exactly it is that you're running into?
Dara DeGrand
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

jimburd
New User

Post by jimburd »

Hi Dara, thanks for getting back to me. The issue that I am facing has to do with the physical installation and fitment of the Pioneer head unit. It sits too high in the dash and will apparently require cutting away a major portion of the bottom tray of the dash storage unit in order to be able to reassemble the dash. I'm just worried that cutting away the bottom part of the tray may make the tray as well as the lid unstable.

I have a few images I can post, but I can't seem to be able to upload an image. Do I need certain credentials to be able to do so?

Jim Burd

Chris LaRoche

Post by Chris LaRoche »

You can upload the picture to whatever online source you use normally, copy the image address, and hit the 9th button above the text box here that looks like a photo. Then paste the image's online address between the [IMG} {/IMG] boxes that come up.

Alternately, feel free to email us and include the photo and a quick recap of the issue or a link to this thread.
Maestro.support@idatalink.com

Thanks!
Chris LaRoche
Automotive Data Solutions
Technical Support - Maestro
MECP Master Installer

rayw72
New User

Post by rayw72 »

jimburd wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:46 am
Hi Dara, thanks for getting back to me. The issue that I am facing has to do with the physical installation and fitment of the Pioneer head unit. It sits too high in the dash and will apparently require cutting away a major portion of the bottom tray of the dash storage unit in order to be able to reassemble the dash. I'm just worried that cutting away the bottom part of the tray may make the tray as well as the lid unstable.

I have a few images I can post, but I can't seem to be able to upload an image. Do I need certain credentials to be able to do so?

Jim Burd
Jim, Did you find a resolution to your fitment issue? I purchased a Kenwood DMX706S which is the shallow radio. It looks like it is close to the same depth as the factory screen/avic combination from the factory.

jimburd
New User

Post by jimburd »

Hi Ray
Just to review, my 2015 F250 has the in-dash storage compartment. I believe this trim is different from standard dash trims. Mine houses a front speaker, as well as the interface for the A/V module. There is a lid that flips up when you push the button; it also latches when you push it closed. The tray itself is about three inches deep. It was the bottom of the tray that interfered with the installation of the double din AVIC-8300 NEX.

I used a Dremel to cut a large portion off of the tray bottom that was wide enough and deep enough to allow the placement of the head unit. Not a particularly fashionable setup, but with the lid closed, no one can see it.

I also had to fashion a new latch out of a piece of angled aluminum that I picked up from Lowe’s. I used double sided 3M tape to attach the latch to the top of the head unit.

Overall, the project was something of a PITA, but net-net it looks and works fine. It’s possible that you could accomplish the installation with a mounting bracket that allows a lower mounting, but in my case, that would have affected the front trim, etc.

Hope that helps. Feel free to follow up with any other questions you may have.

rayw72
New User

Post by rayw72 »

Thank you Jim. That was a great explanation. I ordered the Kenwood eXcelon DMX706S, which is a shallow mount radio. I also purchased the Maestro MFT1 mounting kit. The instructions state that I'll need to cut the bracket you mentioned but doesn't interfere with the compartment latch. I've been waiting since November for the radio to arrive. Sonic Electronix has been very slow to ship. I'll update everyone once the radio arrives and I go through the installation process.

Return to “FO2 radio replacement solution”