2006 Ram 2500 High Draw

gearhead143
New User

2006 Ram 2500 High Draw

Post by gearhead143 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:51 pm

Just purchased Maestro RR and completed install with Pioneer AVH-1330NEX and now have a .071 milliamp draw. Disconnected the radio and dropped .002ma, disconnected the green plug and draw is still .069ma, disconnected the 3 wire power plug and draw goes down to .013ma. The RR was flashed by the dealer I purchased it from so should be up to date and matched to my radio. NOTE I do not have a amp or steering wheel controls

Seems I have read a lot about this problem with Toyota.

Is there a fix for this?? or do I take it back??

Got to say I am very frustrated at this point.

Zack Flynn
ADS Team

Re: 2006 Ram 2500 High Draw

Post by Zack Flynn » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:34 pm

How about doing the same test you have done, but rather than disconnecting the main power connector, disconnect the other plugs (10 pin black and 18 pin black) one at a time. Something like this would be better served helping you trouble shoot in real time by calling the tech support line.
Zack Flynn
Automotive Data Solutions
Technical Support & MECP Master Installation Technician
Zachary.flynn@adsdata.ca

gearhead143
New User

Post by gearhead143 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:58 am

Zack Flynn wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:34 pm
How about doing the same test you have done, but rather than disconnecting the main power connector, disconnect the other plugs (10 pin black and 18 pin black) one at a time. Something like this would be better served helping you trouble shoot in real time by calling the tech support line.
I did try this the next day and had the same results. I had every plug disconnected except the three wire power plug had still had the same draw. .069ma disconnect the three wire power plug and draw goes away(.013ma). Time out time for the trucks modules 17 to 20 minutes. I left the RR module set for 2 hours and still .069ma draw

I contacted the dealer I purchased from and he contacted tech support, the answer I received that this is normal. Im having a tough time believing this as with today's technology they cant write a string of code with a shutdown command after X amount of time.

Zack Flynn
ADS Team

Post by Zack Flynn » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:02 pm

If you have everything disconnected except the main power connector, the module isn't "awake" or drawing more than 5mA or so. all comm lines to the module that would cause any sort of draw or internal switching or activation of features or relays have been disconnected. Are you sure nothing else is wired into the harness?
Zack Flynn
Zachary.flynn@adsdata.ca

gearhead143
New User

Post by gearhead143 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:30 pm

Zack Flynn wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:02 pm
If you have everything disconnected except the main power connector, the module isn't "awake" or drawing more than 5mA or so. all comm lines to the module that would cause any sort of draw or internal switching or activation of features or relays have been disconnected. Are you sure nothing else is wired into the harness?
There nothing else wired to the harness, the truck had a OEM radio, no steering controls, no factory amp,no aftermarket anything except 2.5in level, and wheels with 35in BFGs in it before this. I am using the meastro CH2 harness (HRN-RR-CH2) all connections from Pioneer harness and meastro harness are soldered and heat-shrinked. With all connected pioneer works fine.

I had every plug to the module disconnected except the three wire plug with yellow, Red, and black. Draw was .069ma and when I pulled the three wire plug draw went down to .013ma.

Zack Flynn
ADS Team

Post by Zack Flynn » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:10 pm

Where and how are you doing your draw test? Is this the draw for the entire truck at the battery, or just the radio circuit? I mean it isn't outside the realm of possibility that you have a bad unit, but not something common by any means. Are you getting any of the gauges or other vehicle info on your aftermarket radio when everything is connected?
Zack Flynn
Zachary.flynn@adsdata.ca

gearhead143
New User

Post by gearhead143 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:22 pm

Zack Flynn wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:10 pm
Where and how are you doing your draw test? Is this the draw for the entire truck at the battery, or just the radio circuit? I mean it isn't outside the realm of possibility that you have a bad unit, but not something common by any means. Are you getting any of the gauges or other vehicle info on your aftermarket radio when everything is connected?
At the battery with Snap-on vantage in dual screen in amp mode, positive cable disconnected, one lead to cable and the other to battery post.When I did this test I removed every thing on the circuit that was showing the draw, Instrument cluster, upper info center, WIN module and finally the radio, and this is where I broke it down from there. Draw .071ma - disconnected radio from module let time out and draw is .069ma, disconnected each plug from module and let time out each time and stayed at .069ma untill I removed the three terminal power plug from module and that is when the draw went down to .013ma.

I dont use the radio for vehicle info as we have wiTech yearly subscription in our shop. I strictly use the radio for music, and Bluetooth.

Zack Flynn
ADS Team

Post by Zack Flynn » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:09 pm

If you aren't using the radio/Maestro combo for turning on a factory amp, retaining steering wheel controls, or getting any vehicle info on the radio screen, then you could do everything without the RR all together. Run a switched power lead to the radio accessory wire or the red wire in that 3 pin you disconnected from the RR and leave everything else connected as it already is. With a base model truck and nothing to retain as far as factory features, and no desire for the extra info from the vehicle being displayed on the radio, you don't need an RR. If you want any of the additional stuff mentioned, swap the RR out because it sounds like the unit may be bad. If not just return it.
Zack Flynn
Zachary.flynn@adsdata.ca

Return to “CH2 radio replacement solution”