Kenwood DMX906S 2014 VW GTI MFD issue

Group using the VW1 firmware for Media Device Interface (MDI), Multi-Funtion Display (MFD), bluetooth, amplifier turn on, amplifier digital fader, amplifier gain adjustment, steering wheel control, custom gauges, vehicle info, park assist, Navigation arrows on MFD, climate status screen...
gijoewoz
New User

Kenwood DMX906S 2014 VW GTI MFD issue

Post by gijoewoz » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:23 pm

Hello,

I submitted an email, but thought this may be quicker.

I just put a Kenwood DMX906S into my 2014 VW GTI. It is working very well, with one small quirk. In the MFD between the gauges, you can use the steering wheel arrows to move between vehicle settings, MPH, and audio information. With this new setup, sometimes there is no audio information available, other times I get volume only, and other times I get the track/artist/play time information. Is there a particular reason it only works sometimes? Could this be fixed by reflashing and choosing different options when I first configure it?

I have been using wireless Apple Carplay as the source pretty much exclusively, and sometimes I get full data in my display, sometimes I don't get any, and sometimes I only get volume.

Thanks for the help.

billr
ADS Team

Re: Kenwood DMX906S 2014 VW GTI MFD issue

Post by billr » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:58 am

if you go to FM or use Pandora or some other BT app like that, does the info show more consistently?
William (Bill) Repicky
Automotive Data Solutions Technical Support
MECP Master Certified
ASE A6 Certified
866-427-2999

gijoewoz
New User

Post by gijoewoz » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:06 pm

Hi Bill, thanks for the response, sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

I haven't noticed a distinction, but I'll be sure to take a closer look. One thing I did notice is that regardless of the source it will only show the album name, and album artist, it won't show the track name.

I'm wondering if there was a setting I should have changed on the OEM radio prior to removing it, does that sound possible?

Also, I believe that I turned the MFD/MDI off when I flashed the maestro because I'm not using the VW plug for any usb devises, maybe I need to turn that back on?

It's easy enough to remove the maestro, and reflash it. It's also easy enough to put the OEM radio back in, if you think either of those things could help.

billr
ADS Team

Post by billr » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:16 am

The MFD is selected in your flash so you are good there. as for just showing the album and artist, that might be a setting in the radio that you can change.
you can try and reset the radio to see if that changes anything.
there wouldn't be a setting the OEM radio that you needed to change prior to removing it.
William (Bill) Repicky
MECP Master Certified
ASE A6 Certified
866-427-2999

gijoewoz
New User

Post by gijoewoz » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:10 pm

Hi Bill, I'm in the process of checking all of the different sources. As of now it seems that the track information is only off with wireless Carplay, all other sources seem to show track title, as I'd like. I've yet to put each source through a full evaluation, so I'll get back with that info.

In the meantime, can I install a longer USB cable, and leave it connected to the Maestro RR so that I don't need to pull it from my dash to reflash? There are a couple of steering wheel buttons that I may need to change to fit my needs as I get used to the new stereo, and it would be nice to simply bring my laptop into the car and plug it in. If that is acceptable, do I need to make sure that the maestro is completely off, do I need to disconnect the battery, or pull a fuse? It would be really nice to run a USB cable that I can access by simply removing a little panel, instead of pulling the whole dash apart.

Thanks!

billr
ADS Team

Post by billr » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:14 pm

you can install a longer a USB however you will need to pull the radio fuses or disconnect the battery when flashing the RR, the RR cannot have any power going to it besides the USB.
William (Bill) Repicky
MECP Master Certified
ASE A6 Certified
866-427-2999

Return to “Volkswagen”