2013 F150 STX, Pioneer MVH-2400 NEX --need help getting Sync functionality

Group using the FO1 and FO2 firmware for Ford SYNC retention * see specific firmware for full feature list.
chrisl31
New User

2013 F150 STX, Pioneer MVH-2400 NEX --need help getting Sync functionality

Post by chrisl31 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:48 pm

ADS-MRR, HRN-RR-FO1 install kit.

Had the BASIC radio, with Sync, as pictured below.

I've got everything installed, regular HU functionality works, Android Auto works but is sometimes finicky, none of the Sync functions or integration seems to work otherwise.

The FO1 has three harnesses truck-side though I believe my truck only has two. I've omitted the VSS wire, backup wire, and brake switch wire, as I mostly just want steering wheel controls and to retain use of the stock mic.

I've previously installed a backup camera with a screen in the rear-view mirror, so I don't even need that. If I can get gauges and all the other vehicle functionality going, it would be a nice addition but not 100% necessary. (and I do have the OBD2 cable plugged in).

Tried going into OEM settings in the Pioneer and it's greyed out, with or without the e-brake on.

I've tried playing with the bluetooth settings and looking for sync there as well, but I'm not even 100% sure what I'm looking for with it as well.

I've got the 3.5mm plugged into the AUX in on the back of the unit and the data cable running between them as well.

I've tried flashing the box a few times with different settings and firmwares to no avail.

What am I missing?
Automotive locksmith by trade.

billr
ADS Team

Re: 2013 F150 STX, Pioneer MVH-2400 NEX --need help getting Sync functionality

Post by billr » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:29 pm

On the Maestro unit there is an led, is it blinking at all when the key is on in the truck?
William (Bill) Repicky
Automotive Data Solutions Technical Support
MECP Master Certified
ASE A6 Certified
866-427-2999

chrisl31
New User

Post by chrisl31 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:32 pm

It was; I've also reset it by pulling the module and holding it down as I plugged everything back in. Also tried a settings wipe on the Pioneer multiple times.

I was also having weird intermittent issues during installation with the HU not turning off when the key was turned off, but it's working now. Not sure if it's worth mentioning?

billr
ADS Team

Post by billr » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:36 pm

Is the light blinking 2 times red?
William (Bill) Repicky
MECP Master Certified
ASE A6 Certified
866-427-2999

chrisl31
New User

Post by chrisl31 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:30 pm

It is.

blink, blink. *pause*

blink, blink. *pause*

https://youtu.be/DadOYkOliog -- video if you need.

billr
ADS Team

Post by billr » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:18 pm

so that's telling us that the Maestro isn't communicating with the radio.
so a couple things to look for:
1) make sure the data cable (black 4 pin cable on both ends) is connected. Plugs into the radio only one place and plugs into the RR right next to the USB where you flashed it.
2) Make sure the radio model number is MVH-2400NEX
3) go into the radio, find the software screen, and look for the radio's serial number (sometimes called the device id) and verify that the serial number is the same as what you put into the flash
4) If all this is good you can check the data cable to see if there is a break in any of the wires by using a multimeter and setting it on continuity, checking each wire end to end.
William (Bill) Repicky
MECP Master Certified
ASE A6 Certified
866-427-2999

chrisl31
New User

Post by chrisl31 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:43 pm

I'll have to double check it when I get home and get back to you on it-- thanks for your help!

I took a pic of the bottom of the radio before the install because I'd used the demo and knew it would come up.

billr
ADS Team

Post by billr » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:28 pm

power up the radio and check what the serial number is internally....there have been times the numbers are different than what's on the outside of the radio.
William (Bill) Repicky
MECP Master Certified
ASE A6 Certified
866-427-2999

chrisl31
New User

Post by chrisl31 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:04 pm

IT LIVES!!!

So for some reason my brain was prioritizing the blue plug on the RR, rather than the plug it was meant to be in!

Steering wheel controls work well, though I'm having issues setting up the bluetooth settings to retain use of the OEM microphone with Sync.

I got to this screen in the OEM settings

I followed the Pioneer bluetooth guide and the cog icon in the phone menu brought me to this screen.

The options are lit up like they're active but do nothing.

I've followed the advisory to have Sync hooked up to the call audio on the phone's BT menu, but it still doesn't seem to work. When the phone is plugged into the HU via USB, Android auto takes over and reactivates call audio into the Pioneer's bt column.

If it's going to be a huge hassle, I can just install the included mic-- just trying to get everything working like it was meant to.

Also, does the kit retain use of the stock 3.5mm aux in? Do I need to hook up the aux in RCA cables for that?

billr
ADS Team

Post by billr » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:42 pm

good to hear it works. Now my recommendation....don't use Sync...at all...ever :)
Best bet is to take the RR back out and reflash it, and when you are at the OEM Features section uncheck the Sync stuff, both BT and Media Player. This will allow you to use the radio's BT without issue and also your steering wheel controls (the voice, phone, and OK buttons) will now work with your radio instead of being just for the Sync system. You will have to install the mic that the Pioneer came with but that is such a small thing compared to how much better BT will work not going through Sync.

The 3.5mm jack will need some modifications to retain and the USB could be retained with an adapter however if you plan on using the USB for Android Auto or CarPlay you'll most likely run into an issue since the USB length and size of the wires limit how much data can be sent over causing issues.

I would recommend using a USB knockout (like one of those round ones) that have like a 2 foot cord on it and use that for your Android Auto or CarPlay.
William (Bill) Repicky
MECP Master Certified
ASE A6 Certified
866-427-2999

chrisl31
New User

Post by chrisl31 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:24 pm

Yeah, I figured that might be the case.

I didn't know if I could get away with not using Sync because of the steering wheel controls. I understand that it's a pain to deal with. The intermittent issues with it not picking up bluetooth correctly or freezing and needing to be restarted is really the only reason I'm bothering to upgrade, honestly.

I'm not super worried about the 3.5mm jack; just trying to keep the feature if I can-- I might see about running a cable into my glovebox or something worst case. Either that or fabricating a new bezel to replace the little Sync bezel. Currently I just have a nice Anker braided USB cable running through the hole where the USB would usually go.

Thank you so much for your help, Bill!

Return to “Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda”