Use FO1 and RR for all functions except climate control on Mustang'14

willt
New User

Use FO1 and RR for all functions except climate control on Mustang'14

Post by willt » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:37 am

Hi,

I want to know if I can use the FO1 and RR to replace my existing aftermarket harness+SWC units except keeping the climate control on the dash panel I'm using.

Here's my current setting:
  • Ford Mustand 2014 base w/ SYNC
  • Non-Maestro aftermarket dash kit with climate control panel
  • Kenwood DDX9905S
The problem of this setting is, the SYNC functions are not retained properly. I think Maestro RR + FO1 do a much better job according to the reviews and posts online.
Also, I want to have the gauge functionality in my head unit, which is only supported by Maestro.

I know I can program the RR to disable climate control function while keeping all others. How about wiring? How do I splice and integrate the harnesses so that the existing climate panel can have control -- or is it even possible? Can you point me to a diagram or any reference to identify the connectors/wires?

Thanks!

billr
ADS Team

Re: Use FO1 and RR for all functions except climate control on Mustang'14

Post by billr » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:24 pm

using the RR along with another companies interface will cause you issues, including data collision. I would recommend using the RR with the MUS1 or use the other companies interface and not use the RR at all. This will save you from headaches later.
William (Bill) Repicky
Automotive Data Solutions Technical Support
MECP Master Certified
ASE A6 Certified
866-427-2999

willt
New User

Post by willt » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:40 pm

Thanks Bill!

Is the potential data collision on the CAN bus?
I thought the CAN bus has some sort of collision detection/avoidance mechanism and the can bus devices are already sharing the bandwidth... maybe I'm too naive.
Also, I know Maestro RR allows you to disable climate control from firmware, right? So that there won't be conflicts for climate control signals.

FYI, I currently have a working set up Kenwood DDX9905s + Metra 99-5839ch. I intend to keep the dash kit with the climate control panel because I like the radio-on-top layout. The Maetro/iDataLink is very tempting to because of the better SYNC compatibility, better radio compatibility, and the vehicle information including gauge.

What I have in mind as possible solution is, to short-circuit the CAN bus wires (for only minimum portion needed for climate control) together in order to connect to the car harness at once.
Worst case, correct me if I'm wrong, I can simply revert to the current setting, right? I don't want to break anything especially the car computer...

Thanks again!

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:40 am

Yes, can collision is the worry here. It's not that the OEM data lines aren't smart, but you have two interface devices on there, too, and they aren't going to play well together. We really do not recommend installing it like you're proposing.
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

Return to “FO1 radio replacement solution”