Using original microphone in Prius 2011 w/ JBL

Group using the TO1 and TO2 firmware * see specific firmware for full feature list.
anon_maestro
New User

Using original microphone in Prius 2011 w/ JBL

Post by anon_maestro » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:10 pm

I just installed the RR in my Prius and everything is working OK except two things:

1. I would like to use the original handfree microphone in my car instead of using the aftermarket HU's microphone. How is this possible?

2. The Aux input in the center console is not working with the new head unit.

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Re: Using original microphone in Prius 2011 w/ JBL

Post by Dara DeGrand » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:56 am

What radio did you install?
1. It is not possible to use the OEM microphone in this application.
2. Ensure the 'aux' RCAs on the t-harness are plugged into an audio input on the radio, and switch to that source when you want to use the OEM aux. There is nothing in the firmware to retain the aux, as it is just a simple connection between the car and the radio, via the TO1 harness.
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

anon_maestro
New User

Post by anon_maestro » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:50 pm

Sorry for the late response I just started diving back into this again.

I am using a Pioneer DMH-1500NEX. I would like to use the OEM microphone if possible. I currently attached the mic that came with HU but I don't really want to mount it in the cabin as it's an eyesore.

I abandoned the aux input and added a secondary aux (straight to 3.5mm) on my dash so that is no longer an issue.

I just took the dash apart because I was having audio issues with my set up. Occasionally sound would stop being output, almost as if the factory amplifier was not turning on (all of the functions on the head unit were working fine). So I resoldered all of my wires and upgraded from firmware v3.2 to v3.3.

Is there anything that may have caused this issue (anything in the firmware upgrade regarding something like this)? It would be nice to have release notes tied to the firmware so we could determine if a reflash is necessary.

Thanks!

Zack Flynn
ADS Team

Post by Zack Flynn » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:06 pm

Unfortunately you wont be able to use your factory microphone with your aftermarket radio. However, you upgrading the firmware on the RR from 3.2 to 3.3 should fix your issue with intermittent audio from your amplifier. It specifically addressed communication issues between the module and the factory amplifier.
Zack Flynn
Automotive Data Solutions
Technical Support & MECP Master Installation Technician
Zachary.flynn@adsdata.ca

Scott88ag
New User

Post by Scott88ag » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:11 pm

Is the factory microphone not an option on ANY Toyota, or just the Prius?
I wanted to use the factory mic on my 2017 4Runner as well...

Chris LaRoche

Post by Chris LaRoche » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:15 pm

The only instances we retain factory microphone is for use with factory systems (Sync, uConnect, OEM BT tuner if retained, etc). There are no applications where we utilize the factory microphone in conjunction with an aftermarket radio, other than in retention of the factory systems.

If the radio has CarPlay, Android Auto, or even just BT and you wish to use the radio's BT or CP/AA, you will need to run a microphone regardless of the vehicle.
Chris LaRoche
Automotive Data Solutions
Technical Support - Maestro
MECP Master Installer

Return to “Toyota”