How should I link my phone to my new radio? and other questions.

Group using the FO1 and FO2 firmware for Ford SYNC retention * see specific firmware for full feature list.
rdhester84
New User

How should I link my phone to my new radio? and other questions.

Post by rdhester84 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:42 pm

I have just installed a Kenwood DDX8905S in my 2012 F150 (w/o nav) and have a few questions.
How should I link my phone?
Sync and Radio?
Sync only?
Radio Only?
What are the pros and cons of each?

I had bought the Maestro RR module so that I wouldn't have to install the radio microphone. Do I have to install it to communicate with apps while in carplay? Is there other scenarios where the Kenwood microphone is required?

The sync voice is very low on my system. I wouldn't be able to hear it at road speed. Is there any way to increase the volume of the sync voice without raising the volume of the entire system?

billr
ADS Team

Re: How should I link my phone to my new radio? and other questions.

Post by billr » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:13 pm

as a fellow owner of a 2012 F150 with a Kenwood DDX9703S I would HIGHLY recommend that you don't use Sync for anything (maybe a boat anchor), let the radio do all your BT needs. Yes you will have to install the mic the Kenwood came with but it's worth it to not to use Sync. IF you plan on using Carplay or Android Auto you have to install the mic.
I put my mic above the rear view mirror so you don't really see it.
William (Bill) Repicky
Automotive Data Solutions Technical Support
MECP Master Certified
ASE A6 Certified
866-427-2999

DonJuan692006
New User

Post by DonJuan692006 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:05 pm

rdhester84 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:42 pm
I have just installed a Kenwood DDX8905S in my 2012 F150 (w/o nav) and have a few questions.
How should I link my phone?
Sync and Radio?
Sync only?
Radio Only?
What are the pros and cons of each?

I had bought the Maestro RR module so that I wouldn't have to install the radio microphone. Do I have to install it to communicate with apps while in carplay? Is there other scenarios where the Kenwood microphone is required?

The sync voice is very low on my system. I wouldn't be able to hear it at road speed. Is there any way to increase the volume of the sync voice without raising the volume of the entire system?
I hated the idea of having to keep SYNC as I didn't want to deal with managing two connections and flipping the phone between the HU and SYNC for all the features.

I ended up figuring out how to tap into the factory mic and deal with the unpleasantries that came along with that because of the factory mic being active vs passive for the HU mic.

You can read up on it here viewtopic.php?f=323&t=19652 and I'll be keeping tabs here if you have questions.

rdhester84
New User

Post by rdhester84 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:02 pm

Thanks for the input. I went ahead and installed the Kenwood mic. I don't really see the need for SYNC after using the system for a few days. I may not change it for a while since I have to open the dash back up to get the module out.

One question - Is the SYNC USB port good for anything but power at this point. I can still tell SYNC to switch to USB but I don't know how it would be controlled at this point except for SYNC voice commands.

In case you were wondering, I found a neat little USB port that replaces the power port next to the SYNC inputs. That one is connected to the Iphone USB input. The grey USB is run to my glove box (for now) and hooked up to a 1T drive with all my music.

billr
ADS Team

Post by billr » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:51 pm

the usb port will be just used for charging if you keep it left in.
Sounds like you got things all ready set up...enjoy the radio!!
William (Bill) Repicky
Automotive Data Solutions Technical Support
MECP Master Certified
ASE A6 Certified
866-427-2999

Return to “Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda”