Where to connect wires leaving SW module to on the vehicle harness?

Analog Steering Wheel Interface
zxchxrix
New User

Where to connect wires leaving SW module to on the vehicle harness?

Post by zxchxrix » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:39 pm

I drive a Hyundai Azera 2008 and just bought a new Sony head-unit which came with a Maestro SW. The instruction diagram provided by idatalink says to connect the purple/red wire to pin 6, the black/white wire to pin 18, and then there’s the wires for acc (red) and ground (black). I am confused as to where on the factory harness those connections should be made.

My thought is I am supposed to access the bundle behind the factory harness clip and isolate the wires leading to the pins mentioned, and splice the wires on the diagram. Am I wrong for this? Or is this exactly how I am supposed to do it.

I am a bit apprehensive about splicing anything behind the factory harness clip because part of me is afraid that is not what I am supposed to do.

I hope my question makes sense. Please let me know if it doesn’t and I’ll try my best to be more elaborate.

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Re: Where to connect wires leaving SW module to on the vehicle harness?

Post by Dara DeGrand » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:17 pm

That is how you're supposed to do it. The aftermarket radio adapters do not have the steering wheel wires populated on them, so you must splice to the factory wiring to get signal from the steering wheel.

We recommend going an inch or so back from the plug and using the military splice method.
militarysplice.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

zxchxrix
New User

Post by zxchxrix » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:07 pm

Where do I connect the acc wire from the module, seeing that the head-unit I bought also needs an acc connection of its own. Do I just make a three-way connection behind the factory harness clip, or go about it in some other manner.

If it is the fore-mentioned method, will it effect the amount of acc power going to my head-unit if I go to press a radio control button considering it’ll essentially be a shared power source?

Sorry about these rather basic-sounding questions, I’ve just never been much of an electrical work guy.

Zack Flynn
ADS Team

Post by Zack Flynn » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:05 pm

The ACC and Ground connections (red and black wires from the SW) can be tied in along with the ACC and ground going to the aftermarket headunit. The current draw of the SW is very low, and will not pose any sort of problem as far as current draw.
Zack Flynn
Automotive Data Solutions
Technical Support & MECP Master Installation Technician
Zachary.flynn@adsdata.ca

tbk72
New User

Post by tbk72 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:13 am

I have an '04 GMC Sierra 1500 extended cab truck. I would like to know where and what color on the factory harness behind the radio is the steering wheel control wire. Cause I Can add another wire to my after market harness. So I do not have to splice the factory harness.

Zack Flynn
ADS Team

Post by Zack Flynn » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:33 pm

The connection we need on our module cannot be found behind the radio. It has to be connected at the BCM under the drive side dash.
Zack Flynn
Automotive Data Solutions
Technical Support & MECP Master Installation Technician
Zachary.flynn@adsdata.ca

Return to “Maestro SW”