2014 OB + Kenwood DDX9906XR issues

Lanthade
New User

2014 OB + Kenwood DDX9906XR issues

Post by Lanthade » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:16 pm

Outback 2014 no nav, no HK, + bluetooth.
Kenwood DDX9006XR
RR + SU2 harness.
ADS-RR(SR)-SUB1-DS (512) - V1.4 firmware.
Using Weblink Desktop software.

Cabling is all done per instructions provided by the weblink software.

Steering wheel controls are fully functional. RR LED blinks green when using SWC but is otherwise off.

Couple issues:

First:

When starting up the car after flashing the message "CAN activity detected please wait..." followed shortly by "The ignition detection has failed. Please check your installation carefully. If you continue to see this message, Please call technical support."

This only pops up the first time the car is started after flashing the RR. Same results every time regardless of if engine is or is not running.

I've checked the OBD-II cable connections. Everything is seated and clicked in. No vehicle info is available in the Kenwood.

Second, maybe related:

The message "The speed sensor must be connected to use Apple CarPlay wirelessly......." Per the wiring instructions the pink speed sensor cable is not connected. I did try temporarily connecting it and it didn't appear to make a difference. Wireless carplay was one of my must-have features so this one is a big problem for me.

FWIW I bought this car new, ordered, not off the lot. It's been properly serviced and always at the same place (dealer). I have no reason to believe there is any issue with the OBD-II port.

Thoughts? I intend to call support ASAP but getting to them in their business hours can be tricky for me hence my reaching out here too.

Zack Flynn
ADS Team

Re: 2014 OB + Kenwood DDX9906XR issues

Post by Zack Flynn » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:20 pm

Please give us a call in tech support, so we can walk you thru manually choosing a vehicle platform, because it sound like it is not picking that up thru the initial comm with the car. This is best done real time while you are in the car.

You will need the VSS connection made on the newer radios that have CarPlay, for that system to function properly and to get to some of the settings.
Zack Flynn
Automotive Data Solutions
Technical Support & MECP Master Installation Technician
Zachary.flynn@adsdata.ca

Lanthade
New User

Re: 2014 OB + Kenwood DDX9906XR issues (Resolved)

Post by Lanthade » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:30 pm

Resolution update:

I called into tech support and they walked me through doing a manual platform selection. It looks like no platform had been selected automatically. Once I got the correct platform set all the OBD-II stuff showed right up.

For wireless carplay I did have to connect the pink vehicle speed sensor wire. It would be nice if ADS would update the instructions to show this wire connected.

Zack Flynn
ADS Team

Re: 2014 OB + Kenwood DDX9906XR issues

Post by Zack Flynn » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:55 pm

Glad this resolved it for you.
Zack Flynn
Automotive Data Solutions
Technical Support & MECP Master Installation Technician
Zachary.flynn@adsdata.ca

Return to “SU2 radio replacement solution”