2015 Forester XT w/ SU1: Backup Cam doesn't activate

Group using the SU1 and SU2 firmware* see specific firmware for full feature list.
shakka
New User

2015 Forester XT w/ SU1: Backup Cam doesn't activate

Post by shakka » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:18 am

Howdy,

I'm in a '15 Forester XT Touring with the Harmon Kardon but no Navigation. I'm using your RR with a SU1 harness to a Pioneer 4400NEX. I've cabled as per your diagram. Everything works except the Backup camera
is not activating when I put the car in reverse. However, I can manually engage the camera and the picture comes up fine. Do you have any tips or suggestions I can look into?

Thanks

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Re: 2015 Forester XT w/ SU1: Backup Cam doesn't activate

Post by Dara DeGrand » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:29 am

There is a purple/white wire between the maestro and the radio that triggers the radio when you go into reverse. Do you have that wire connected?
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

shakka
New User

Post by shakka » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:41 am

Thanks for the rapid response.

I'll double check it. Just to confirm the wiring diagram, it's listing purple/white as (NC) on the secondary screen.
Purple/white is supposed to be from the Pioneer harness and the Maestro main harness?
The second screen harness is to remain not connected. Correct?

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:27 pm

Correct.
Dara DeGrand
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

shakka
New User

Post by shakka » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:58 pm

Thanks, Dara.

That did it, during one of my previous troubleshooting sessions, the short wires had popped loose.

The Maestro works great!
winner winner chicken dinner

Zack Flynn
ADS Team

Post by Zack Flynn » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:29 pm

Great news. Glad everything is working for you.
Zack Flynn
Automotive Data Solutions
Technical Support & MECP Master Installation Technician
Zachary.flynn@adsdata.ca

warmus
New User

Post by warmus » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:20 pm

Hi, I have a 2015 Forester Limited, factory radio had bluetooth only, no navigation or amplifier, that I just installed a Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX head unit, I got the head unit, Maestro RR and the SU1 package from Crutchfield and had them prewire the Maestro harness to the radio harness. I've connected all the factory plugs I could find behind the factory radio and reviewed the connections with a Crutchfield tech over the phone. When I put the car in reverse the backup camera still displays on the screen in the dash (where it always displayed) and the head unit screen will go black, no image is displayed.
There is one factory connector that was plugged into my factory radio that I could not find a matching socket for in the wiring provided with the SU1 kit. I believe this factory connection was for having the radio information displayed on the dash mounted display as the radio information is now no longer displayed on the dash display. In looking at the SU1 wiring diagram for my Forester I see a secondary screen harness that should connect to the "D" connector. I could not find the secondary screen harness plug in the radio cavity.

Any help is appreciated

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:25 am

The secondary screen harness isn't in the radio cavity because it is at the screen.
Dara DeGrand
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

warmus
New User

Post by warmus » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:33 am

Hi Darna. OK, That makes sense. I went back in, found the harness plug connected to the back of the MFD that matched the socket on the D wire harness and connected it. I still don't get the backup camera display on the head unit. I have the yellow connector plugged into the SU1 harness brown wire but the red connector in the main SU1 T harness with the purple/while wire (that is indicated N/C on the wiring diagram) is a plug connector, not a socket connector so I can' connect the red plug connector on the D harness to the main SU1 harness.

Thoughts?

Zack Flynn
ADS Team

Post by Zack Flynn » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:21 pm

The red 2 pin connector from the D connector should connect to the only red 2 pin from the SU1 that is the correct gender. The diagram is a little confusing on that. Also the yellow 2 pin that has the yellow RCA (that should be going to your aftermarket radio's back up camera input) should be connected to the 2 pin yellow connector on the D connector. The blue and white 2 pin harnesses on the SU1 shouldn't be connected to anything, and the black 2 pin that is in the SU1 should be hooked to the black 2 pin that goes to the OBD2.
Zack Flynn
Zachary.flynn@adsdata.ca

warmus
New User

Post by warmus » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:02 am

Finally got back to check the wiring. All wires are attached as described in the post by Zack.
After verifying all wires were connected correctly I plugged the D harness into the secondary Screen plug. I still did not get the backup camera display on the head unit. Just on a chance I connected the 2nd connector on the D harness (that shows not connected to anything on the wiring diagram) to the MFD in the dash. Once this connection was made the backup camera displayed on BOTH the MFD and the head unit.
I did not leave connected in this configuration as I didn't know if this might create an overload situation. If in fact this is how the wiring should be the wiring diagram needs to be updated to show all the connections.
Please let me know if I should use the configuration that displays the back up camera on both the MFD and the Head Unit.

Thanks

Zack Flynn
ADS Team

Post by Zack Flynn » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:34 pm

That harness is designed to plug inline with the factory harness and screen. Both ends should be connected
Zack Flynn
Zachary.flynn@adsdata.ca

Return to “Subaru”