2007 Subaru Tribeca Install: Can I retain dashboard controls

Group using the SU1 and SU2 firmware* see specific firmware for full feature list.
Pcyr18017
New User

2007 Subaru Tribeca Install: Can I retain dashboard controls

Post by Pcyr18017 » Thu May 30, 2019 9:40 pm

Good evening,

I've been searching for an aftermarket radio for my 2007 Subaru Tribeca since the day I bought it. I finally found it! JVC makes a shallow chassis radio (KW-M650BT) which fits perfectly in the space previously occupied by a Multi-function display in the upper dash.

Install was straightforward for both the radio and the Maestro. And everything worked the first time. Steering wheel buttons all work and having 2 features per button is awesome. The Maestro is very well designed and just seems to work. Gauges work too, and replace the functionality lost by removing the multi-function display. Well done, idataLink! My daily ride now has XM, Carplay, bluetooth and Siri eyes free.

However, The Tribeca has radio and climate controls which share a single plug from the dash into the factory radio. The factory radio was retained in order for the climate controls to work.

The factory radio controls include:

Rotary Volume Knob
6 Preset buttons
AM/FM button
SAT
CD
RSE/AUX
Track/Tune up
Track/Tune down
Seek Up
Seek Down
RPT
RDM
Scan
Tone/Bal

Can I use a Maestro SW to retain the factory dash radio controls? The JVC has a SW plug on the back. On the surface, it doesn't seem possible, unless idatalink provides a profile for the Tribeca's controls so that the buttons can be programmed in weblink and the Maestro SW flashed. I can certainly ask for a feature request, but with only 80,000 cars made during the entire production run, it seems like alot to ask. Does the SW have a manual programming mode? Or is there another idatalink product that I could use?

I'm open to suggestions. I know there are competitor products that I can manually program, but having used those interfaces in the past with mixed results, I'd prefer to use a product I know will work.

And FWIW, I have an idatastart HCX in this car, which I also love. The Maestro is much easier to install. And the mac OS version of Weblink is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Paul
Freelance Idatastart Installer
Lehigh Valley, PA

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Re: 2007 Subaru Tribeca Install: Can I retain dashboard controls

Post by Dara DeGrand » Fri May 31, 2019 8:24 am

The SW only retains the steering wheel controls. Everything that's on the radio bezel is on different circuits.

The SW has a way to make custom firmware, but only with resistance based circuits. IF the buttons on the dash happen to be resistance based, you would meter the resistance of each button and the SW would allow it to do radio related functions. However, you wouldn't be able to get climate retention this way; Just radio related stuff.

To add to that, the SW only has 2 circuit inputs, so it would be very complicated to do. You'd have to have one circuit for your steering wheel buttons, and another for the dash, if they happen to be analog.

I hope this helps,
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

Return to “Subaru”