Generated installation diagram for my '06 Civic is incorrect

Analog Steering Wheel Interface
puftwaffe
New User

Generated installation diagram for my '06 Civic is incorrect

Post by puftwaffe » Sun May 19, 2019 8:57 pm

After rechecking my selections several times, it is clear that the wiring instructions provided for my vehicle, it's factory stereo, and the new aftermarket stereo are not correct. Both the standard and premium head units without navigation utilize 17-pin A harnesses and 20-pin B harnesses. The diagram for installing the Maestro SW with these units wrongly specifies pins 6 and 7 on a 20-pin A harness which does not exist. The 20-pin B harness, however, DOES have the appropriately colored wires at 6 and 7, and those not coincidentally correspond to audio remote ground and power. As of the moment, though, the remote is not working (LED not indicating at all), so I am wondering what else is missing or incorrect as far the installation goes. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Re: Generated installation diagram for my '06 Civic is incorrect

Post by Dara DeGrand » Mon May 20, 2019 9:22 am

Hook to the 20 pin 'B' plug that shows the wires in pin 6 and 7. By default, our website calls the first plug you'll be connecting to 'connector A'. It is not referring to OEM shop manuals in any way, shape, or form.
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

puftwaffe
New User

Post by puftwaffe » Mon May 20, 2019 9:09 pm

That just seems like a needlessly confusing labeling method then, especially for those who are also making use of OEM documentation which will often seemingly be in conflict. Probably better to simply refer to a given harness only by the number of pins rather than a letter which might appear to have some significance but is actually unrelated to anything.

As for my connections, I have already tapped 6 and 7 on the 20-pin harness, and despite everything being wired up in accordance with the diagram (and rechecking my connections), the remote switches do not work, and the LED does not ever illuminate. The retailer is sending out a replacement unit in the event that it is defective, but I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't likely to be anything else either.

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Tue May 21, 2019 8:15 am

Common sense dictates that if our pin position, color, and wire description matches the secondary connector mentioned in the Honda manual, we're all probably talking about the same thing, despite the label being mis-matched. Getting caught up in the connector names is simply overthinking it.

There is not a lot that can cause this issue, and SWs do not go bad very often. A few troubleshooting questions:

When you turn the key on, does the light on the maestro give you a fast green blink like it has power?
-If not, please ensure the red and black wires from the SW are connected to the red and black wires of your aftermarket radio.

When you press a button on the wheel, does the light on the SW give you a blink like we see you hitting a button?
-If not, it could be a poor connection, or you could be on the wrong wires. It's very common in these vehicles for people to tap into the pink wire for the aux instead of the pink wire for steering wheel input.
-If yes, check the blue port on the SW and ensure it is connected to the radio. I don't see any mention of what radio you're installing here, so I can't be much more specific than that. What radio are you installing?
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

puftwaffe
New User

Post by puftwaffe » Thu May 23, 2019 1:39 pm

To be fair, needlessly and arbitrarily assigning a label to any connector which likely differs from the manufacturer's own reference materials is the problem, not the customer on the other end trying to reconcile any differences (i.e. "overthinking it"). If you're going to label connectors in your own installation diagrams and documentation, then use the manufacturer's own reference system. Otherwise, don't label them at all in favor of ONLY describing them by the number of pins.

In any case, the replacement unit arrived yesterday, and I was able to attempt installation today, though it did not correct the problem. The green LED on both units blinked on ignition, but neither showed any activity when actuating the switches. I have repeatedly verified that I am connecting the correct wires and that those connections are good. I've flashed the units multiple times as well, always being careful to select the appropriate options at each step, so I am at a loss as to where the problem lies other than to say that it's almost certainly not the Maestro hardware itself. The head unit is a Sony XAV-AX5000. At this point, I'm probably just going to return the unit for a refund since I never use steering wheel controls anyway and don't really feel like investing much more effort into maintaining that personally irrelevant functionality.

Zack Flynn
ADS Team

Post by Zack Flynn » Thu May 23, 2019 8:16 pm

With the lack of response coming from the LED when the buttons are being pressed, It sounds as though you still have a connection issue on the wires going to the 20 pin connector in the vehicle. Either the purple/red and black/white wires coming from the SW are connected to the wrong wires in the car, or the connections themselves are not solid. What type of connection did you make when you attached the SW's wires to the vehicle wires?
Zack Flynn
Automotive Data Solutions
Technical Support & MECP Master Installation Technician
Zachary.flynn@adsdata.ca

puftwaffe
New User

Post by puftwaffe » Thu May 23, 2019 8:25 pm

With the two remote switch wires entering the harness, I used Posi-Tap connectors, and I was sure to use wires 6 and 7 (looking wire-side, trigger up). When I removed the Posi-Taps, they had both pierced the shielding and would have been directly in contact with the wires themselves, neither of which were broken. The red and black ACC and GND were twisted together with two other wires, solid connections even when I took them back apart to remove the module. Like I said, I repeatedly went back and checked every connection for both position and integrity and could find nothing that appeared to be amiss. I'm certainly not blaming the modules at this point, but I it'll continue to bother me that I never was able to locate the actual problem.

Zack Flynn
ADS Team

Post by Zack Flynn » Fri May 24, 2019 11:45 am

I can tell you that the most likely cause of the problem, given you being on the correct (pink) wire(s), would be those posi taps. I would recommend at least stripping some of the wire sheathing back and attaching copper to copper and then wrapping the connection with a good quality electrical tape, or soldering it prior to wrapping it if you are comfortable with a soldering iron. with all you have told us, a failed connection(s) on the actual SW wires in the 20 pin are all it can be.
Zack Flynn
Zachary.flynn@adsdata.ca

puftwaffe
New User

Post by puftwaffe » Fri May 24, 2019 8:54 pm

It's certainly possible that the Posi-Taps are the culprits, but all of the other ones I used during this installation worked well, and these connections looked good also. Unfortunately, I just shipped the remote units back today, so there's really no more troubleshooting left to do, but I do appreciate your time and suggestions.

Zack Flynn
ADS Team

Post by Zack Flynn » Mon May 27, 2019 8:54 am

Sorry to hear that. We see issues with those things quite frequently. If you ever give it another go, try connecting directly to the wire in the car.
Zack Flynn
Zachary.flynn@adsdata.ca

Return to “Maestro SW”