2014 FJ Cruiser Install Problems

Group using the TO1 and TO2 firmware * see specific firmware for full feature list.
PID Loop
New User

2014 FJ Cruiser Install Problems

Post by PID Loop » Sat May 11, 2019 10:38 am

2014 FJ W/JBL System
Sony XAV-AX210 Radio
ADS-MRR Interface Module
HRN-RR-TO1 Factory Integration Adapter

Installation about 6 months old; been like this since install but I barely drive it. When it works, it works great. When it doesn't, it's miserable. Fully integrated through ODB port.

When radio is turning on, there is a 70/30 chance that the radio will turn on like normal, all features available, but no sound whatsoever. At first I was attributing to potentially a faulty wire, but I have triple checked everything. Also all connections are soldered & heat shrinked. I have also re-flashed the ADS-MRR numerous times to try to resolve a few times. I have used the radio GUI to reset the ADS-MRR numerous times as well but the problem persists. I also have a speaker out in the front drivers but after reading this: viewtopic.php?f=404&t=19351, I need to go see if its a speaker or complete side thing.

I have been able to narrow it down to the Amp Setting in the Maestro Menu.
->Settings
->Maestro Settings
->Vehicle Features
->Amp Settings

Here is where 1 of 3 things normally happens:

Condition 1:
->Amp Settings is grayed out and remains grayed out; in-motion or stationary.
(does not take vehicle motion or bounce to make it turn on, happens when just key to IGN as well)
->After an undetermined amount of time, the radio will just start playing and all settings are available.

Condition 2:
->Potentially after an undetermined amount of time, the Amp Settings will become available.
->Speed Compensation
->Select Enable or Disable
(it locks into the toggle it's in - if OFF, you can toggle ON, but no response in GUI or change in toggle state)
(I've been able to capture this on video)
Normally, when this occurs, I will not have radio on the drive.

Condition 3:
->Potentially after an undetermined amount of time, the Amp Settings will become available.
->Speed Compensation
->Select Enable or Disable
(if selection works, when toggling from Enabled to Disable, this turns the radio on immediately. It also works when I go from Disable to Enable to Disable)
I do not have video of this yet but am trying to capture it.

I assuming there is something wrong with the either the harness (amp turn on proof), the firmware (toggle latches) or proving validation (power/speed/amp on or off/etc).

Any thoughts on how to fix this one?

Zack Flynn
ADS Team

Re: 2014 FJ Cruiser Install Problems

Post by Zack Flynn » Mon May 13, 2019 7:42 pm

In the TO1 harness there is a small white 2 pin connector that is part of the JBL t-harness, that has green/yellow and green/red wires in it. check that connection and make sure you have continuity thru the connector and clip it out and solder the wires directly together if needed. Check the connection on the factory side for continuity as well, on both wires. These are how the RR communicates with the amp in the truck. There has also been an update from Sony for your radio, and the fader position is determined by our communication with the radio thru data. It wouldn't hurt to check what version you have and update the radio FW as well.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/suppor ... /xav-ax210
Zack Flynn
Automotive Data Solutions
Technical Support & MECP Master Installation Technician
Zachary.flynn@adsdata.ca

PID Loop
New User

Post by PID Loop » Sun May 19, 2019 2:25 am

I'll double check the harness again, specifically the wires you noted. I have updated the radio ROM about a month and half ago to the most current version in my quest to solve this.

On a separate note, I pulled out an older RR module I had thinking I'll validate the problem by swapping the RR module out and see if it made a difference and discovered that Weblink is downloadable for offline flashing now. So I go to set it all up and go to build my flash. I get to the select my radio (Sony XAV-AX210SXM) part and the radio is not there anymore?!! I'm like, "WHAT"?! So I pull out the Windows PC and setup to flash via Weblink in IE. The selection of the radio is gone from here as well! I checked the compatible radio section of the website, and the radio is still listed as compatible but there is no flash available now. I then try to flash from my saved backups. Go to the whole process up to flashing, and then get an error: "The device is not currently loaded with firmware. Please proceed to flash by vehicle or flash by firmware". Not sure what to do now..

I flashed it with the XAV-AX200SXM flash just to make sure the RR module was good and try to load from backup again (flash in module guaranteed) and would up with the same error above. Ugh....so frustrating.

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Mon May 20, 2019 9:19 am

If the RR is older, check the label to see if it says 'RR-256'. If it does, the module has a smaller memory, and the radios may not show on account of the firmware being too big to fit a 256mb module.
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

PID Loop
New User

Post by PID Loop » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:44 pm

That's good info! I pulled everything out today and looked at yes, low and behold, RR-256. I have another that I bought so I pulled it out and it is a RR-512. Plugged in and the radio appeared for firmware configuration. This should be in a splash screen while flashing haha. Working on the soldering fix, will update results.

Return to “Toyota”