Missing Uconnect DDX6905S 2011 challenger

Needhelp
New User

Missing Uconnect DDX6905S 2011 challenger

Post by Needhelp » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:47 pm

I just installed the idatalink Maestro rr with the CH1 kit and a new Kenwood DDX6905S in my 2011 RT classic challenger. Uconnect was grayed out in the OEM setup and the phone button on the steering wheel doesn’t work. The other steering wheel controls work fine ( volume/seek etc..)

My factory radio is marked RES in the lower right corner.
Is the Uconnect built into the factory radio and that’s why it won’t work now?

I had Uconnect checked in the firmware flash setup online and I even pulled it and re-flashed it to make sure and still no Uconnect option.

I got everything working great with the aftermarket mic but it would be nice to use the one on the mirror that the car came with.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Zack Flynn
ADS Team

Re: Missing Uconnect DDX6905S 2011 challenger

Post by Zack Flynn » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:30 pm

Did the radio have a phone icon on the face of it? And it is branded "RES" in the bottom right hand corner of the face of the radio?

Your new radio will do everything that your uConnect system will, and more. Once most people get past seeing the aftermarket mic, they are much happier with their aftermarket radio and its controls.
Zack Flynn
Automotive Data Solutions
Technical Support & MECP Master Installation Technician
Zachary.flynn@adsdata.ca

Needhelp
New User

Post by Needhelp » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:39 pm

Yep it has the phone icon on it and the RES in the lower right corner.

I do like this radio a lot more just wish it could use that mic in the mirror like I thought it could.

Needhelp
New User

Post by Needhelp » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:06 am

Is there a way to make the phone and voice button on the steering wheel control the kenwood voice/phone ?

Right now when I press either the audio just muted and nothing happens (speaking doesn’t do anything)

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:11 am

Did you hook up the blue/white wire between the CH1 harness and the radio? If you didn't, you won't be able to hear uConnect.

Also, there is an audio cable that runs between the RR and the radio. It is an all black cable with a 3-pin plug on one side and a 3.5mm jack on the other. Make sure that is plugged in to where it says 'iDatalink i/f' on the radio.

When you're testing to hear uConnect, make sure that you are hitting the phone button (the VR will not make her talk to you under normal circumstances, because it is programmed to do voice activation for bt audio/usb).
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

Needhelp
New User

Post by Needhelp » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:44 am

The blue/white wire is connected to the p-cont (amp turn on) of the radio harness and the audio cable is connected from the rr to the idatalink jack on the back of the radio.

I don’t see a “My Chrysler” option in the radio menus and the Uconnect is grayed out in the OEM setup,

What else should I try / check?

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:24 am

The uConnect system is entirely voice command driven, so there will not be a menu for it. Kenwood did away with the 'My car' menus in newer versions of the radio. Now all the maestro vehicle sources are in the same menu as the other radio sources. As you swipe through, you'll see gauges, vehicle info, etc.

The only menu that should be there is the OEM bluetooth in the OEM setup but that's about it. There are two possible reasons why the OEM bluetooth would be grayed out in the OEM setup; Either we don't detect the system in the vehicle, or the radio is doing it. In these CarPlay equipped radios, they sometimes gray out that menu because they want you to use their system, not uConnect.
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

kbthurk
New User

Post by kbthurk » Mon May 06, 2019 9:47 pm

I'm having the exact same issue in my 2010 Challenger. I installed a AVH-W4400NEX in it, CH1 Harness and RR Maestro. In the RR installation instructions it has the section below. That option never came up in my set up. I'm extremely frustrated with the idatalink product, especially since I purchased the radio since it specifically stated it is idatalink compatible.

OPTION 1:
This option lets the factory Bluetooth system handle calls
and the Factory and the aftermarket Bluetooth system
stream Audio.
• To use the factory Bluetooth system: (The factory
Bluetooth system is OFF by default)
• Scroll down to Chrysler setup and press SET
• Go to the OEM Bluetooth and press ON
• Press the BACK button (circular shaped arrow)
• Scroll down then press FINISH

Needhelp
New User

Post by Needhelp » Tue May 07, 2019 9:33 am

I actually ended up installing the AVH-4400NEX, i heard about the wireless CarPlay ability and called Crutchfield and they let me swap it out.

As for the Uconnect... I abandoned that and I’m much happier with the CarPlay. You can make the steering wheel voice and phone buttons use CarPlay which is hands down a better system.

The only issue I have now is that some of the gauges that use the OBD2 data aren’t accurate. The Tach,speedometer, tires and battery are all spot on but the fuel level and some others are quite off.

They’re pretty much just novelty so not that big a deal but would be nice if they were working like they should.
Also note that is you have an “OBD2 communication failure” then try using the radio menu to reset the Maestro. That worked for me.

Return to “CH1 radio replacement solution”