2017 Forester USB ports

Group using the SU1 and SU2 firmware for Ford SYNC retention * see specific firmware for full feature list.
spcbl1
New User

2017 Forester USB ports

Post by spcbl1 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:07 am

Hoping for some guidance here. I have a 2017 Forester touring, which has two USB ports and an Aux port in the center console. I am a bit of a perfectionist and would prefer to keep them functional. When i connect my pioneer MVH1400 with the Maestro RR and Su2 harness I am able to retain all functionality of the steering wheel controls and backup camera. I do have two issues however...

1. The USB cable adapter causes the Head unit to throw a "USB HUB error" message. I have discovered (the very hard way) that the pioneer head units do not support the dual USB ports. Does anyone know of a way to overcome this? Is there a subaru part for a single USB port, or a known head unit that can handle USB hubs? I cannot seem to find any information on this, I cant imagine i am the only person who wants to retain factory USB support, otherwise whats the point of replacing the radio other than to gain USB specific features like Android auto and apple car play...

2. The Maestro instructions for my vehicle model (Forester with 7" and Harmon Kardon) show both the Aux connection (3.5mm) and the 3.5mm datalink connection. on the back of the MVH1400 there are only two 3.5mm jacks. 1 is labeled "AUX" and the other is for Wired Remote. Which of the two 3.5mm connections do I connect, and to which port? I do have a 4pin datalink port on the radio that I am able connect. Everything seems to work with just the "AUX" 3.5mm from teh SU2 harness, however I am not sure what i might find missing without the datalink 3.5mm connection. Can anyone provide some insight into the two different cables please?

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Re: 2017 Forester USB ports

Post by Dara DeGrand » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:58 am

1. This is common across pretty much all radios. I do not know of any radio model offhand that supports a USB hub. To use android auto/car play, you must plug directly into the radio. Often times, the length of cable run from the OEM USB to the radio is too long once you plug all the cables in, and this can cause AA/CP not to work.

2.In your specific application, you can leave out the audio cable and simply plug the aux from the t-harness into the aux of the radio. Do not plug anything into w/r or your steering wheel controls will not work properly.
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

spcbl1
New User

Post by spcbl1 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:44 am

Thank you for the quick response. I guess I will need to retrofit some USB ports into the console, I know the pioneer I am using can handle the longer cable as I had a similar setup on the radio in my old vehicle with a 6' cable.

spcbl1
New User

Post by spcbl1 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:33 am

One more question in regards to the Antenna amplifier - Solid Blue on the T-harness i believe. Where should i wire this in, i only have the striped blue wire on the pioneer harness. Should I couple the striped blue and the solid blue from the t-harness to the striped blue on the pioneer harness (is that even possible)? I noticed that i do not have good radio reception after install and I assume this is the cause.

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:36 pm

It is fine to hook those two together, since the pioneer doesn't have a dedicated power antenna connection.
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

Return to “Subaru”