New Install; RR-GM5+, Alpine iLX-207, 2013 Silverado

Group using the GM3 and GM5 firmware for Onstar bluetooth, sat radio, Door chime, turn signal retention and steering wheel control, custom gauges, vehicle info, park assist... * see specific firmware for full feature list.
BigD-In-RTP
New User

New Install; RR-GM5+, Alpine iLX-207, 2013 Silverado

Post by BigD-In-RTP » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:07 am

First time poster, DIY install of above noted items in 2013 Silverado, non-Bose, non-Nav.
Per Justin's suggestion, fixed backup camera problem by disabling backup assist interrupt.
Thanks Justin!!
Original problem was, when shifting into reverse, I got a dual screen image; backup camera on left of screen (without gridlines) and visual image of backup proximity sensors on right of screen.
Wanted full screen camera ,WITH gridlines.
Justin helped me fix that; just FYI for benefit of others.

Remaining issue (this is my first mention of it), after shifting OUT of reverse, it takes a REALLY long time for Alpine screen image to revert back from camera to previous screen--usually XM radio station.
It eventually does revert back, but takes the better part of a minute to do so.
Any way to make the camera image go away more quickly, preferably as soon as I shift out of reverse?
This is not a new issue; has been an issue since system was first installed, and has not changed along the way.

I already tried flashing the firmware of the Alpine, but my unit shipped with a later version than what's available online. Don't recall the exact revision installed, it's 5.something.

I also reflashed my Maestro yesterday; did the entire configuration process, but only needed change was to add the pause function as the 2nd function of volume-up button, which worked perfectly.
In advance, thank you.

-Big D

billr
ADS Team

Re: New Install; RR-GM5+, Alpine iLX-207, 2013 Silverado

Post by billr » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:32 am

Hi Big D, 2 things: 1) is there anything else connected to the reverse wire coming from the Maestro unit (purple/White wire) besides the radio's reverse wire? and 2) check the reverse signal wire on the Maestro (Purple/White wire) for voltage after you shift into park from reverse. If you have a multimeter set to DC Voltage, put the truck in reverse and check that Purple/White wire for 12 volts (it should have 12 volts on it on reverse) then put your truck in park and see if that wire still has 12 volts on it.

if it doesn't have 12 volts when you shift into park:
Unplug the data cable (4 pin black cable going to the radio from the Maestro unit) and put the truck into reverse again, see the backup camera, then put it back into park and see if the radio switches faster. If the radio still takes a good long time to shift back to the normal screen then it's probably an issue with the radio.
If it shifts back quickly let me know, there may be a bug to find.

If the reverse wire does still have 12 volts on it when you shift into park then let me know.
William (Bill) Repicky
Automotive Data Solutions Technical Support
MECP Master Certified
ASE A6 Certified
866-427-2999

BigD-In-RTP
New User

Post by BigD-In-RTP » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:30 am

Thanks Bill! Will check that when I can; due to my mounting setup, I'll need to pull the head unit, dash bezels, etc. back out to access the Maestro and wiring harness. May be a while till I can do that.
My recollection is that the reverse wire is dedicated (I bought the hardware from Crutchfield, including their ReadyHarness option, so the harness was pre-configured and terminated for me, which was nice!)
Next time I open the dash, I'll grab my DVM and try your suggestions.

Side note: I've discovered that, when I select vehicle gauges, they are displayed with gauges incorrect or inoperative, ONLY when I have my Range device plugged into the OBD connector. When I remove that Range device and restart the truck, the gauges seem fine. Think that's a limitation of "one device at a time talking to OBD data lines"? I'm planning to try changing the radio/Maestro setting to data on demand, but haven't tried that yet. If it's a known conflict or limitation, I'll live without the gauges, rather than shorten engine life with GM's AFM implementation. Planning to install a custom tune in my truck, after warranty expires in July.

The range device's presence or absence has no effect on the camera-image-off lag issue.

Thanks again!

billr
ADS Team

Post by billr » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:01 am

our interface will not read any vehicle info if something else is plugged into the OBD2 port. this is just so we don't interfere with the dealership or someone else accessing the OBD2 that needs to read vehicle info. Once the OBD2 port is not used we'll begin to read the vehicle info again.
William (Bill) Repicky
Automotive Data Solutions Technical Support
MECP Master Certified
ASE A6 Certified
866-427-2999

gjhathaw
New User

Post by gjhathaw » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:49 am

I am posting this review in case someone with Factory XM is installing this product with the Maestro GM5+ and an Alpine ILX-207 radio. After flashing the RR to my specific truck and radio serial number, the install went well but not 100% success. I had a flashing red light on the RR and spoke to technical support and confirmed that my flash was good, and the issue was a poorly seated data cable. After re-seating the data cable, everything was working but my factory XM. To enable my factory XM I had to change the alpine setting from aftermarket to factory. I then requested Sirius XM to send a refresh signal to my factory tuner (https://care.siriusxm.com/retailrefresh ... freshradio). After the refresh was sent, Factory XM appeared on the main menu and XM is working. (Note: XM is not included in the band choices, only FM1, FM2 and AM.)

BigD-In-RTP
New User

Post by BigD-In-RTP » Thu May 16, 2019 3:33 pm

Hi all. New question on my old post, same vehicle and system, which works fine aside from the backup camera image revert issue, which I haven't yet had a chance to address.

My question is just this; If I disconnect the 2 wires from the vehicle OBD II connector, what will happen? What will or won't work if I do that?

I'm anticipating a need for unrelated dealer warranty work (possible tranny problem) and I'm thinking of removing the two OBD wire taps, so they can't blame that for the tranny issue.
Just wondering if the whole Maestro RR will quit working or will I just lose gauges, or something else?
Thanks!

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Thu May 16, 2019 3:57 pm

You'll just lose gauges and the ability to see/reset check engine codes.
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

Return to “Chevrolet, GMC, Buick, Cadillac, Pontiac, Saturn, Hummer”