2018 Toyota Tundra OBDII concerns

Group using the TO1 and TO2 firmware * see specific firmware for full feature list.
mshannon1977
New User

2018 Toyota Tundra OBDII concerns

Post by mshannon1977 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:50 am

I recently purchased a Maestro RR, TO2 Harness, and a Pioneer AVIC W8400 NEX radio. I am going to do the install next weekend, everything looks pretty straight foreard with one question, the grey/red wire to the OBD2 port. I understand that this connection provides vehicle specific information to be displayed on the radio such as check engine, tire pressure, open door etc...however I have read others having issues with it providing constant power and draining the truck battery, mainly for Kenwood radios. Should I be concerned with this issue for my setup with a pioneer? Should I leave the OBD2 grey/red wire harness unplugged? Thank you.

billr
ADS Team

Re: 2018 Toyota Tundra OBDII concerns

Post by billr » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:38 am

The Grey/Red wire going down to the OBD2 will provide the information for the TPMS (tire pressure). I feel confident in recommending that you connect the OBD2 connector so you can utilize all the features of the Maestro RR. Of course if at any time you fell unsure about it you can disconnect the OBD2 connector and that will not affect the operation of the radio.
William (Bill) Repicky
Automotive Data Solutions Technical Support
MECP Master Certified
ASE A6 Certified
866-427-2999

mshannon1977
New User

Post by mshannon1977 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:45 am

Thank you for the response. Is the TPMS the only info provided when plugging in the grey/red harness into the OBD2 port?

Zack Flynn
ADS Team

Post by Zack Flynn » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:09 pm

The issue some people have is that the radio stays on due to a pull up resistor that keeps the radio from shutting off with the key. If you do not have this issue, you don't have to worry about the OBD2 connection and you will have the full functionality of the radio. If you do have that issue, you can unplug it for the time being and call us here and we can walk you thru what needs to be done in the TO2 harness fix it. Again, not everyone has the issue and there is no need to modify anything if you don't.
Zack Flynn
Automotive Data Solutions
Technical Support & MECP Master Installation Technician
Zachary.flynn@adsdata.ca

itsdchz
New User

Post by itsdchz » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:03 pm

New install on 2018 Tundra.

Didnt hook up OBDII on initial install. Next evening I did, and drove to work. Power cycling on and off. Unplugged the OBDII and issue solved. Will try the resistor mod later as well. Hope it doesnt change any of the functionality.,

Zack Flynn
ADS Team

Post by Zack Flynn » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:19 pm

That should fix it. Let us know
Zack Flynn
Automotive Data Solutions
Technical Support & MECP Master Installation Technician
Zachary.flynn@adsdata.ca

Return to “Toyota”