Backup camera not engaging when putting the car in reverse

Steering Wheel & Radio Replacement Combo
marcv
New User

Backup camera not engaging when putting the car in reverse

Post by marcv » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:18 pm

Hello,

I just installed a new head unit, amp, sub and backup camera on my 2011 base stereo mustang. Everything is working great except for the backup camera. The backup camera does not come on when I put the car in reverse. When in reverse and I hit the camera button on the head unit it works and then when I take the car out of reverse the screen goes blue. I am sure this is because I hooked up the camera to the reverse lights. Any idea where to start? Should I wiretap the red wire that is part of the rca jack to the purple and white reverse wire? I have the Mus 1 dash kit, Maestro RR and Kenwood DDX395 head unit.

Thanks,

Marc

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Re: Backup camera not engaging when putting the car in reverse

Post by Dara DeGrand » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:43 pm

Do you have the backup camera/reverse interrupt in the radio set to ON, and (if it has it), trigger polarity set to + ?

Just to be clear- the only thing that the radio screen needs to trigger is voltage when you're in reverse. If the car is an automatic transmission, hooking our purple/white to the purple/white of the Kenwood should achieve that. Do not hook anything else up to the rr's purple/white, or that output will be damaged.

If the car is a manual transmission, there is a chance we aren't seeing the gear change because it isn't being reported on the data lines. In this case, you would need to run the kenwood's purple/white wire to a reverse wire in the car, and that will tell the screen to switch.
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

marcv
New User

Post by marcv » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:26 pm

I have an automatic and just confirmed the wiring is correct. I also have the reverse interrupt on and it is still not coming on when I put the car in reverse. I don't see where I can adjust polarity. Any other ideas?

I took pic's but can figure out how to attach them.

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:41 pm

Do you have access to a multi-meter, by chance? If so, I would meter the maestro's purple/white to ensure that it is sending 12 volts when you go into reverse.
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

Genainah
New User

Post by Genainah » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:50 am

Dara DeGrand wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:43 pm
Do you have the backup camera/reverse interrupt in the radio set to ON, and (if it has it), trigger polarity set to + ?

Just to be clear- the only thing that the radio screen needs to trigger is voltage when you're in reverse. If the car is an automatic transmission, hooking our purple/white to the purple/white of the Kenwood should achieve that. Do not hook anything else up to the rr's purple/white, or that output will be damaged.

If the car is a manual transmission, there is a chance we aren't seeing the gear change because it isn't being reported on the data lines. In this case, you would need to run the kenwood's purple/white wire to a reverse wire in the car, and that will tell the screen to switch.
thank you for this answer! Had the same issue!

marcv
New User

Post by marcv » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:34 am

I confirmed the correct wires were attached. Next step is to check the voltage. Will do this week.

Return to “Maestro RR”