2007 Tahoe installation - Speaker outputs and RSE retention

C38368
New User

2007 Tahoe installation - Speaker outputs and RSE retention

Post by C38368 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:17 pm

I'm about to update radio in my truck with a Kenwood DDX6905S, replacing the factory unit (navigation and Bose amplifier w/o center channel, no factory Bluetooth or phone functions), and I have a few questions about which connections to use, and how.

With respect to the GM5+ harness, I'm seeing conflicting information regarding which speaker connections to use. An early (2013, I believe) installation guide for Kenwood radios suggests that the level-matched pigtails should be used, allowing the head unit's internal amplifier to do its thing. Other guides suggest that the line-level RCA outs should be used, while forum posts suggest that I should just use whichever sounds best, which may involve removing the PCBs on the pigtailed connections. Compounding matters, there appears to be a difference of opinion, concerning whether or not the factory Bose amp (which I will continue to use for the time being) is designed to accept line-level or amplified signals, with the consensus being that, in the latter case, all the amp does is handle the subwoofer.

Additionally, the Bose amp currently routes "truck noises" (turn signals, door chimes, etc) through the left front channel, mostly off the A-pillar tweeter. Assuming that I'm not replacing the Bose amp, is there any reason to use the GM5+ external speaker, at this time? I assume that I should retain it, in the event I do get around to replacing the Bose amp.

Finally, with respect to the HRN-AV-GM5 to retain the rear-seat DVD player: am I correct in assuming that the 3.5mm-to-female RCA pigtail is meant to plug into the 3.5mm A/V Out jack on the back of the Kenwood, with the "From Input" male RCAs connecting to those two for audio, plus the yellow Video Out RCA built into the Kenwood? Also, am I correct in assuming that the ring terminal on the HRN-AV-GM5 harness is meant to be grounded to a screw on the Kenwood's chassis? Lastly, can I expect to find three female RCA jacks under the dash, heading to the rear screen? That seems to be what the harness' other set of RCA connectors are for, but I can't tell if those are, perhaps, duplicative of the grey plug.

I think that covers all the questions that I've got queued up, at the moment.

Thanks in advance; looking forward to getting this all done!

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Re: 2007 Tahoe installation - Speaker outputs and RSE retention

Post by Dara DeGrand » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:22 pm

I recommend using the speaker level outputs with a Kenwood; you're much less likely to get noise that way. There are padding circuits that cut down the voltage for bose, so it will work just fine connecting it that way. If you have the brown plug for center and sub, plug it in, and use the RCA outputs for that.

Go ahead and plug the speaker in. In some circumstances, the speaker will play certain noises and chimes. At other times, the bose amp will generate these for you.

"From input" would go to the av inputs of the radio. This sends signal from the rear to the front of the radio.
"To Overhead DVD'' should hook up to the AV outputs of the deck. Ground the black wire. There won't be any RCAs back there from factory; we're simply converting the wires to an RCA plug for you so the deck can easily get signal to/from the rear entertainment system.
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

C38368
New User

Post by C38368 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:31 pm

Dara DeGrand wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:22 pm
I recommend using the speaker level outputs with a Kenwood; you're much less likely to get noise that way. There are padding circuits that cut down the voltage for bose, so it will work just fine connecting it that way. If you have the brown plug for center and sub, plug it in, and use the RCA outputs for that.
Ok, so:

- Splice with GM5's pigtailed speaker connections (with the PCBs) to the radio's harness to use high-level outputs, and (presumably) reserve the line-level RCA adapters for an aftermarket amp installation;
- Assuming that I find a brown plug on the vehicle's harness, connect the "sub/center/backup cam" RCAs to the radio. Which jacks would I use? Presumably the sub plug goes to one of the two sub jacks; does it matter which? (And also, what exactly does that do?) and as I don't have a center channel in my truck, should I bother with that at all?
Go ahead and plug the speaker in. In some circumstances, the speaker will play certain noises and chimes. At other times, the bose amp will generate these for you.
Got it. That part is simple enough!
"From input" would go to the av inputs of the radio. This sends signal from the rear to the front of the radio.
"To Overhead DVD'' should hook up to the AV outputs of the deck. Ground the black wire. There won't be any RCAs back there from factory; we're simply converting the wires to an RCA plug for you so the deck can easily get signal to/from the rear entertainment system.
And now I'm extra confused. This harness has two sets of male RCA terminals: stereo audio, and video, for a total of six. One set is labelled "from input," and the other, "to overhead DVD" (or something close; I don't have the harness before me at the moment). The labeling makes me think that this operates like a patch cable, but your response makes me think that all six RCAs connect to the radio itself?

In the radio's manual, the AV-IN jack (3.5mm) is apparently identified as an optional accessory input for the Kenwood CA-C3AV, which appears to be a $25 composite-to-3.5mm adapater; is that where the "from input" RCAs are supposed to go?

Sorry for all the questions. I just really don't want to take the dash apart more than once on this install.

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:46 pm

It might be easiest if you call us. Explaining this stuff over text tends to make it more confusing. We're here until 4pm EST today if you want to give us a shout on our tech support line.
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

C38368
New User

Post by C38368 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:00 pm

Called tech support and, for the sake of anyone who may have a similar problem, here's what I've put together concerning the AVGM5.

The short of it is, you need to pony up for Kenwood's proprietary CA-C3AV cable, which looks like a 3.5mm-to-composite RCA breakout cable, but has four conductors in the 3.5mm end, and is apparently wired differently than a typical 3.5mm-to-composite breakout. I suppose you could make your own, but I'm neither that skilled, nor patient.

That accessory plugs into the A/V IN on the back of the radio. The other end of the AVGM5 harness' RCA cables plug into the yellow video-out pigtail, and the A/V OUT, which requires the 3.5mm-to-RCA stereo adapter, included with the AVGM5.

I have NFI how to add a 3.5mm AUX in for a DAP or phone connection with this setup, or if that's even possible, with the stupid Kenwood adapter. Anyone at ADS have insight into that?

Zack Flynn
ADS Team

Post by Zack Flynn » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:08 pm

There is only the one input, that you used the CA-C3AV in, on that radio.
Zack Flynn
Automotive Data Solutions
Technical Support & MECP Master Installation Technician
Zachary.flynn@adsdata.ca

Return to “GM5+ radio replacement solution”