Escape hybrid w/ navigation: Missing features

Hybrid_sound
New User

Escape hybrid w/ navigation: Missing features

Post by Hybrid_sound » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:27 pm

I'm having trouble with the Maestro RR unit and F01 wiring harness for my 2010 Ford Escape Hybrid with factory navigation. I'm using the Maestro with a Pioneer AVH-4200NEX head unit. The basic features seem to work well (steering wheel controls, HD radio, vehicle information), but a few key features are missing:

1) Factory backup camera: I have the camera options turned on in the Pioneer, but no camera image is displayed. The backup screen is triggered when I put the car in reverse, but the screen is black (no feed). This is disappointing as I really appreciated the backup camera image that was formerly displayed on the touch-screen of the stock navigation head unit

2) Factory microphone: The factory microphone is built into the rear-view mirror of the Escape. It no longer sends voice to the new Pioneer head unit. I don't want to wire an aftermarket microphone. The whole point of the Maestro is to be able to use factory-installed features, such as this. Car Play is great for reading incoming texts, however without a microphone I can't dictate a reply.

3) Apple Car Play: I assumed that the Maestro would connect my iPhone through the factory USB plug to Car Play on the Pioneer head unit. When I plug the iPhone lightning cable into the factory USB receptacle, the Pioneer displays that an iPhone is connected, but treats it as an auxiliary input. Car Play is not available. When I bypass the Maestro unit and plug the lightning cable directly into the back of the Pioneer, Car Play works beautifully. This is frustrating since the Maestro is billed as "Car Play compatible". The Pioneer supports Car Play. The Maestro does not.

Those are the big problems I see right away. I still have more testing to do to see whether Sync is fully supported. I'd really like to get the back-up camera and parking distance control going again, since these are features that I use daily.

I suspect that the leads for these features are contained in the factory wiring harness that did not have a match with the F01 wiring harness from idatalink. The F01 harness matched up to three of the four wiring harnesses that I removed from the back of the factory navigation head unit. The fourth factory harness (10-pin) is left dangling. I plan to reach out to Ford to get wiring diagrams for all four harnesses so that I can see what this fourth, unused harness supports.

I appreciate any guidance or support that you can provide.

- Rich

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Re: Escape hybrid w/ navigation: Missing features

Post by Dara DeGrand » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:47 pm

1) Our harness doesn't have the wiring for the backup camera. On the nav trim, you must take an RCA and splice it in to the video signal. There is one radio plug the FO1 doesn't connect to, and that's where the wires will be. They are normally Video +: White/Green and Video -: Brown/Violet.

2) If you use sync, the OEM microphone will work. If you want to use the Pioneer for bluetooth, you must use the pioneer's supplied microphone. It isn't possible to mix and match components from separate bluetooth systems.

3) The maestro doesn't have anything to do with the CarPlay, because it is a feature built into the radio. To use CarPlay, you must plug directly into the USB of the radio. It isn't possible to route all the information for CarPlay through the OEM USB.
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

Hybrid_sound
New User

Post by Hybrid_sound » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:08 pm

Thank you for the help, Dara. I suspected that I would need to wire an RCA plug into the wiring harness to tap into the factory backup camera. I can do that.

I'm less certain about the OEM microphone.When I try to use Sync, the system appears to hear nothing. I don't believe the microphone is active. I may have to install a Pioneer microphone, as Car Play works better with voice input. Doing so might solve that need.

One more thing, the Pioneer doesn't see the Sirius satellite system. The icon is grayed out and not selectable. I though the Maestro would support the built-in satellite radio. The subscription is active. Why isn't it showing up?

Thank you for your help.

- Rich

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:45 am

The factory satellite radio is not able to be retained with this solution, as it is built into the OEM radio. When the radio is removed, the tuner comes out with it.

If you are paired to Sync, she will hear you when you activate sync. If you are paired to the pioneer and you're activating voice commands, you need the Pioneer microphone installed for it to work.
Dara DeGrand
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

Hybrid_sound
New User

Post by Hybrid_sound » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:14 pm

I have a few more questions. First, the Features Coverage list for my Ford Escape includes "Display Distance on Screen" under the "Park Assist" category. The OEM park assist chimes still work, but I donʻt see any option for displaying distance on the screen. The Park Assist option is grayed out on the Pioneer head unit on the Vehicle Information screen.

Second, there doesnʻt seem to be a way to pair a phone to Sync using Bluetooth. I see Sync listed on my iPhone, but then it needs a pairing code from the receiver. I canʻt get that code to be displayed on the Pioneer. Sync appears to be limited to a USB connection due to the inability to verify Bluetooth through a pairing code.

Lastly, how do you access the Check Engine codes? Iʻve found the Check Engine icon on the Vehicle Information screen of the Pioneer. Will the codes be available if the Check Engine light is activated? I ask because I previously used an iPhone app to check codes and could access stored codes at any time. This doesnʻt seem to be the case with the Maestro.

- Rich

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:44 am

The features list is generic, and depending on the vehicle, that information may not actually be sent on the data lines. That is what is happening here. The sensors are not reporting your physical distance from an object, so we are unable to populate that information.

You must initiate the pairing with Sync in order to get the passcode. Please see page 4 of the owner's guide at the link below for explanation on how the pairing process works.

http://images.idatalink.com/corporate/C ... 170510.pdf

The check engine light in the vehicle info screen will be lit up orange when you have a check engine light, allowing you to go into the menu, view, and clear the codes. It will be gray and inaccessible when there is no active DTC.
Dara DeGrand
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

butchybutch
New User

Post by butchybutch » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:57 am

Just want to chime in on the parking assist mode. I was able to activate parking assist and satellite radio on my
2006 Ford Explorer Limited with the free forscan software for Ford programming features. I have the Kenwood DDX 9903s and idata F01 installed.

Return to “FO1 radio replacement solution”