2012 Prius JBL/Nav incompatible audio connectors

jayflowk
New User

2012 Prius JBL/Nav incompatible audio connectors

Post by jayflowk » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:33 pm

I purchased the HRN-RR-TO2 and Maestro ADS-MRR for my Prius. It's a 2012 Prius Four with JBL, Navigation, and backup cam. I already knew that I'd have to do a little work for the backup camera, based on the instructions. However, it turns out that the audio connectors are incompatible. My Prius has a 20 pin connector, where the TO2 has the 10 pin + 6 pin connectors. After much research I see that the 10 + 6 connector is pretty common in other vehicles, but apparently my make and model are different.

I believe I can work around this issue, but I need a little help. I purchased a Metra 70-8113 harness which matches the 20 pin connector in my Prius. I will use that and then re-pin it as needed. I will then cut off the 10 + 6 connector from the TO2 and connect the appropriate wires together.

My questions are these. First, what is the white wire with red stripe in the TO2? I believe I know what all of the wires from that 10 + 6 connector are except that one. That wire is in both the 10 pin and the 6 pin connectors which then join to run to the green plug for the ADS-MRR. I have tried searching all over the internet and can't find any schematics that show what the ADS-MRR is expecting there. I'm kind of surprised there is nothing around that shows what each of these wires in the TO2 are.

My second question is regarding the 20 pin connector in my Prius. Do you happen to have the pin information for that connector for my car and year. Again, my searches have come up empty. I've found some information for other years, and I can tell what the major pins are (power, acc, ground). But I'm trying to determine exactly which pin is the remote (or amp) and also what pin that white/red wire I mentioned above should connect to.

Thank you

Zack Flynn
ADS Team

Re: 2012 Prius JBL/Nav incompatible audio connectors

Post by Zack Flynn » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:20 pm

You have a vehicle that requires the TO1 harness, not the TO2. The 20 pin connector you speak of is included in the TO1.
Zack Flynn
Automotive Data Solutions
Technical Support & MECP Master Installation Technician
Zachary.flynn@adsdata.ca

jayflowk
New User

Post by jayflowk » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:01 am

Every place indicates that I needed the TO2, including the idatalink website. The only trim for my model that indicates the TO1 is the base model, which I do not have. Maybe that information should be updated?

Now I'm in a situation where I have already purchased the TO2, and modified the TO2 for the backup camera based on the instructions. Is it possible to make it work with my vehicle? If I simply modify the TO2 audio connection part (the 10 pin + 6 pin) so that it connects to the appropriate pins on my car's 20 pin audio connector, would that be enough to make this all work? Or are there some other drastic differences with the other connectors that will make the TO2 totally incompatible?

Also, what is that white wire with red stripe? Mute?

Thank you

jayflowk
New User

Post by jayflowk » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:58 pm

One more question. If I purchase the TO1 instead, I assume I need to program the ADS-MRR differently? Should I say that I have a 2011 Prius with JBL (instead of the 2012 Prius with JBL that I actually have)?

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:36 pm

You could do that, or you can flash as a 12 Prius Base; it will still give you the option to retain your factory amplifier, so that will give you the same end result as bumping it back a year.
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

jayflowk
New User

Post by jayflowk » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:05 am

Thank you, I'll do that.

Return to “TO2 radio replacement solution”